Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help Save Zippy Texas

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Danny's mommy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Zip's vet visit today

Here’s what I received for Zip’s first ASR vet visit:

“Just got a preliminary call from the vets office…..
    1. Medium to high on the heartworms
    2. Some muscle atrophy in the rear end…that’s why he doesn’t get up well, easy exercise may help this
    3. Heart murmur – 2 to 3…this is sort of low to medium…can’t tell if it’s genetic or caused by the heartworms
    4. Going to do blood work to see how his numbers look
    5. Going to do chest x-rays to see how the heart looks…this will determine how we will proceed with the treatment at a later date
    6. Will start him on doxycycline to start working on the heartworms and to ward off any possible kennel cough”

Not super but he has so much to look forward to now, and yes, as Beth noted, a very kind man in the Austin area stepped up and is going to foster Zip and he will receive all the care he needs. Zip will have a wonderful loving home now and hopefully his HW treatment will not have to be too aggressive. Great job Beth with getting the pictures posted and thank you all for supporting Zippy, and yep, ASR got a lot of emails I’m sure. They are the best and if I get any new pics, I'll post them.

Praise God! and thank you!,
    Mike

2. famous seamus

famous seamus Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011
    new jersey
    You guys rock the rescue!!!!! Thank you Danny's Mommy for getting this fur ball rolling. Pawsome!!!!

Grinning from ear to ear,

Kate

3. UConn Sheltie

UConn Sheltie Forums Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    Conn
    So happy for Zippy ~ Hug's from Lilly's Mom

4. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Awww... Love the photos of Zippy. So nice a man came forward to foster Zip. I have a feeling he is going to be spoiled and pampered. I am so glad I found Zippy on petfinder and didn't pass him up. I just knew everyone else would be getting involved in saving Zippy. I am sorry he has heart worms. Poor guy. I will be waiting for more updates and maybe more pictures. What is that saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" well I think all the attention got Zip saved.:smile2:

5. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    Those pictures made my day! Our oldest rescued sheltie, Hershey, passed away not long ago & Zippy reminded me so much of Hershey with the same sweet bewildered look on his face. Almost like he was asking "what's going on with me?". It made my day to hear he was safe & going to get the love & care he deserved. Don't you love happy endings??:smile2:

6. mlamont

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Thank you for not passing him up Danny’s mom. Most of us saw him because of you and the emails started flying, reaching out to save this abandon senior. They deserve so much more... they are not forgotten... and they are not alone. God bless little Zip… he has probably gotten more attention and concern in the last two weeks than he gotten all his life. What an outreach, from all over… to save him.

7. mlamont

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Zip is in his new home

Hope you all don't mind an update on Zippy's progress.

Zip went to his new home this past Thursday and is eating well and moving around the house. The heartworm issue causes some cough and pant but he is taking it easy. The follow up vet report isn't all that bad.

1. He has moderate tartar…no rush on a dental, this is very good
    2. He has an ear infection, and has meds for that
    3. He has a skin infection and has meds for that
    4. His blood work looks really good
    5. The heart murmur of 2 to 3 is on a scale of 6 and it’s really not a big problem.
    6. The heart is slightly enlarged on the left side but again, not something to really worry about
    7. The lungs are normal…this is good
    8. He will be on doxycycline for 30 days….and then we will determine the next step in his heartworm treatment.
    9. He doesn’t have to be crated and is encouraged to move around to help strengthen those back leg muscles

8. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    What wonderful news! I am so happy to hear he is safe & doing well. He reminds me so much of our sweet Hershey. He passed away but I know is giving a big woof from above to know that another senior sheltie has a home.

9. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Thank you so much for the update! Poor little guy is finally being taken care of. He just pulls at my heartstrings. My husband too. My husband is always asking if there is any news about Zippy. Made our day!:smile2:

10. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    I am happy for the update on Zippy...ASR calls the foster dad "St. Glen" because he is wonderful with the dogs....My heart is smiling because I know Zippy will spend his last days with lots of attention, wonderful care, and an abundance of love....:biggrin2: