Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hemp Oil for Bitsy Boodle

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Chris, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We're trying something different for Bitsy. At the advice of a holistic expert, we started her on organic, non-GMO hemp oil twice daily. We eliminated all other meds (Denamarin, Gabapentin and Tramadol). So far, we're seeing very good results. Bits seems more interested in her surroundings and more active -- she even wants to play ball again, albeit gently. She got her appetite back, too (spare me the munchies jokes; we've already made them all! :lol:)

We started with this:
    https://myomegapet.com/products/hemp
    However, it costs nearly $40! :eek2: So I did a bit of looking and found this:
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-certified-organic-hemp-oil-non-gmo-24-fl-oz-710-ml-1
    It's for humans, and as far as I can tell, it's the exact same thing, except you get a whale of a lot more for one-fourth the price. (I suspect it's a case of jacking up the price for dogs because they can get away with it. :mad1:)

We'll keep you posted on the results.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Chris, may I ask how/why this works? I assume it addresses her discomfort from her arthritis? I am planning on trying the green-lipped mussel supplement for Brooke's arthritis (waiting for a Chewy order in 2 weeks), but I'm always interested in learning about alternatives. I hope it works for Bitsy!

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    UPDATE: We're doing more research. The Vitacost hemp oil may not be a good choice. Several reviews say it's not cold-pressed (not good). I've also learned that you need to verify how much CBD (Cannabidiol) is in the oil. I'll keep y'all posted.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The active ingredient is CBD (Cannabidiol), which relieves pain and reduces anxiety. I'd definitely recommend anyone interested to do your own research. Don't just go by what I say.