Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hi from Florida.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Phil Hughes, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    We don't have a dog right now. We had two Corgi's but unfortunately they both passed last year and the home seems very empty with out them. We have started thinking about another dog and really do like the Sheltie. A lot of similarities to our Corgi's but different Anyway we wanted to join the forum to find out more about them. Thanks

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Phil, so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear corgi's. They are such cute dogs.

I hope you are able to find a sheltie soon to help fill the void now left in your home! They are such a wonderful breed and you could not find a better website to inform you. So many helpful members that care and want to support each other. I personally have rescued 4 and found 3 from breeders. Whichever way you decide to go, they can be the most wonderful companions... Good luck to you.

Here is one of the many wonderful links that can help guide you...
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    I got my first sheltie from a sheltie rescue in the FL panhandle- then I got sheltified

SheltieLuver and ghggp like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Phil, welcome to you and your family
    - so sorry to read about your loss - yes, our home seems very empty without a dog.

I am a first time Sheltie owner after 30 wonderful years with German shepherds.
    Shelties are such a fantastic lovable breed - but with an absolutely completely different sensitive mind.

Totally agree with ghggp that describes it so nicely.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Welcome from Australia.

Shelties would definitely be a good progression from Corgis, similar but just a little softer. There's some theories that Corgi was amongst the mix that made up the early Shelties. One time I was in the supermarket and saw a Corgi enter with a man through the automatic doors - it wasn't until I was at the checkout and the staff asked me if I knew who owned the Corgi that I looked down and saw, you guessed it, a little Sheltie - unfortunately my little Sheltie who'd managed to find me. Even I'd mistaken her for a Corgi at a distance.

6. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We loved our Corgi's dearly and they were called over the rainbow bridge at an all too young age. We are an older couple and there have always been dogs in the house. Even though Arlo and Molly have been gone for awhile now, we still find ourselves watching for the silly and funny and lovely things that they did. So we need new paws in the house and what we have seen and heard about the Sheltie, we really do like. We put in adoption applications with two of the Florida Sheltie Rescue Organizations but have only heard back from one of them that they will let us know. We would much rather adopt an older Sheltie but will start looking at breeders if we don't hear from a rescue organization in a few months.

Phil and Jane

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Breeders also sometimes have adult shelties available.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank you bunches for offering a rescue Sheltie a forever home! You can't go wrong helping a Sheltie in need!

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I second the Mid Florida rescue - I have emailed Barbara and made a donation to a Sheltie she took in who was neglected, and she seems like the nicest person. If you can take in an older dog from a rescue, it would be awesome. If that doesn't work out in the time you are looking, breeders also do retire show dogs to good pet homes. We got our Brooke that way at age 7 almost 8 and she has been such a wonderful addition to our family. Faith her grand-daughter came along at age 2 after getting too big for the show ring.

My sympathies on losing your Corgis, they are really great dogs too, such characters and I love their faces.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the wonderful world of Shelties!