Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hi there!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by jaleely, Nov 16, 2017.

1. jaleely

jaleely Premium Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Long time internet user, first time Sheltie owner! My little tri-color, Finn Murray Craig, is 15 weeks old. Hubby & I got him at 9 weeks. We *adore* the little brat!

...But.. I did think a sheltie wanted "to please" his people? Finn is more stubborn than his hound siblings! (And that is saying a lot, since we have a 14 year old beagle, Daisy, and a 7 year old basset hound, Bowser!)
    Our house is *not* quiet, and *is* covered in hair! :)
    Also, Finn acts a lot like a cat! Is that a Finn-thing? Or a Sheltie-thing?
    Thanks!!

~Finn's Mama

2. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Given he's only 15 weeks old, his full character is still really yet to develop,..... Also,.... He's only been with you for 6 weeks,..... Give the poor little guy some time,..... You need to earn his trust & loyalty too, it won't be simply handed to you.

We got Drake at 11 months & it would have been 4 months at least before he was totally "our dog" & we became "his people". You get back from a Sheltie, only what you are prepared to give IMHO.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. jaleely

jaleely Premium Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Thanks! I was kind of just joking, though.
    Hounds are notoriously stubborn. Finn talks back, and its hilarious.
    I am here to learn more about shelties, but I was kind of hoping for a more friendly response. I'm mainly fascinated by him, bc I've only ever had hounds before.
    This is kind of the intro section, right? I suppose I could have gone on and on about how much I know about Shelties already, or how I think his personality is, or to prove all the research I've done. But really I just wanted to say hi and talk about how cute and silly my puppy is. Appreciation of the breed, really. Wasn't knocking it.
    No knee-jerk reactions. I personally never mean anything to be rude.
    So, I suppose what I really mean to say is it's very fascinating for me to see the difference and how Finn is growing up versus how Bowser the Basset Hound did. The way they learn differently, the way they've been acting, and how they are best friends now. (With the exception of everybody wants my lap!) We make jokes continuously about Finn being one of the smartest breeds, and Bowser being one of the most stubborn, along with Daisy the Beagle who is ridiculously stubborn and sneaky.. and I keep trying to keep Finn from learning from her! A little while ago I actually ordered the book Sheltie talk, and wound up with an original copy from 1984! I wasn't quite sure exactly what kind of book to get about a Sheltie, because most things online especially talk about puppies in general, versus, more breed-specific. Back about 30-40 years ago they definitely had different expectations for Championship quality dogs, but obviously, Finn is my little spoiled pet.

4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Welcome. :) Your Finn sounds like a full of life, very bright little guy who is more focused right now on taking in as much of the big, new, and exciting world around him than on being a "perfect" pup. Like very bright children who can be a real handful when little but grow up to be wonderful caring adults...many "naughty" pups grow up to be some of the most deeply bonded and loving dogs. Enjoy his naughty months, as I know you will, because they go by way too fast.

Trini

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

I started with hounds- had a basset mix and then a beagle mix. got my first sheltie (a 5 yr old rescue girl) to keep the beagle boy company. then I got my first sheltie puppy and he did learn everything super fast but some dogs/puppies take a little longer. I now have 4 shelties, 3 that I got as puppies (2-3 months) and the 4th was closer to 10-11 months when I brought her home. They have all done things differently at different times. My youngest is very cat- he likes to lay on the top of the couch and also rubs on me like a cat when I get home from someplace that he didn't get to go.....

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome to you and Finn! We have six -- all Shelties, we're hooked on the breed -- and one of them loves to wind through your legs like a cat. And she's four! Five of our six are related to each other, but they all have different personalities, not unlike children. As others have said, Finn will likely change as he grows and his personality develops. Shelties are fun-loving, loyal and wicked smart. Plus cute and silly, as you've found. Enjoy the ride, and the Forum!

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Hi and welcome! Love the name--now need to put a face to it :) Just link to a public photo site! While 4 of mine have been sables, McQueen was a tri boy so I have a soft spot for the tri :happy:

jaleely likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Welcome to Finn and his mama - from Minnie (tri) and Hanne in Denmark.

I'm also the first time Sheltie owner
    I never look at Minnie as stubborn, apparently a sheltie is just more skeptical and cautious
    than my previous dogs.

I think she was around 1 y before she joined me completely
    - then she was apparently reached that she could believe in me 100% :biggrin2:
    - that I was trustworthy and wanted to protect her. :hugs

My favorite article - to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We are delighted to welcome you and Finn. We're more than happy to share with you all we know -- and we're a supporting group that goes back more than 12 years. If you have any urgent questions, PM our super-pros: Ann, Tofupup, Corbinam or Calliesmom. Or me -- always glad to lend a hand to a Sheltie firstie.

I got two puppies at once -- wheeeeee!!! Layla and Bits were both pretty biddable, but it does take time to get in sync. And you're spot-on: Shelties will pick up things from your other dogs. Beckon, our big boy, was trained by Layla, Bits and Annie Laurie -- poor guy couldn't put a paw wrong. :lol:

You'll also be "thrilled" to know that at about 8-11 months, Shelties enter a teenage stage and periodically forget everything they've learned for a bit. When that happens, you just go back to square one. If it's housebreaking errors, re-crate. If it's commands, just be firm.

One more piece of unsolicited advice: if you give Finn periods of time alone with you, no other dogs around at all, he'll probably bond very quickly. Shelties like to feel "special." We have four, and we make sure that everyone gets exclusive Mom & Dad time with walks, rides and adventures.

Warmly,
    Chris

jaleely likes this.
  10. jaleely

jaleely Premium Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    How cute!! Lol.
    Yeah, reading how the breeds are different still doesn't prepare you, lol. I've been around so many hounds in my life, but Finn is my first working dog. He's an adorable little kitty-cat-brat!! His mannerisms crack us up, & I hope they stay with him when he's grown!
    We know he's still developing. Its funny for me to see the difference between him growing up, and when Bowser basset was a puppy. He's my second puppy in life. My parents bred beagles in the 80's, but again, hounds, lol
    Many pics soon, Muahaha!