Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Housebreaking association

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by andre normand, Sep 3, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    Hi

I have 8 weeks old sheltie puppy. I have read and watched tons of videos on YouTube on house training a puppy. We had the puppy for 4 days and we have been watching him like a hawk since day one. We have put him outside after naps, meals, playtime etc... and he is doing his business (peeing and poo) as expected. . , we give him lots of praise after he does. He is doing really well
    ,Here is my question
    How does the dog associates the fact that he cannot do his business inside, say if he did not do one incident for 4 weeks straight, how do puppies associates outside for peeing? Why would they just not do it inside
    Do we need to actually catch him while doing it inside and say a " NO" for him to understand that he can't do it inside?
    I am just trying to figure out what goes inside a puppy mind
    Thanks​

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Personally, I would never say "no" to my little puppies, but just take them out, it's us that has not been fast enough so we can not blame a little puppy by accident.

At the present time they have no control over their pee or poop they only get at 4-6 months

It is important not to make the puppy sad, so take it slow.

Stay out with the puppy until it has done something, although it may take a long time, remember with praise and love, we will come a long way

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    As Hanne said, accidents are inevitable with a young puppy until the muscles that control elimination develop. The way they learn to go outside is to be sure you're there with them. When they perform, immediately give lots of praise in a happy voice and special treats that you only use for this. Shelties are very smart and figure this out quickly. But be patient with accidents.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am not a dog, but I've known a few...

Here is how I think they think about it: imagine that you've lived in North America your whole life, using an indoor, sit-and-flush toilet.

Now imagine that you take a trip to rural China, and the first night there, the only toilet available is a squat-toilet in an outhouse.

Now, logically, you know what you need to "do"... but you're so accustomed to performing this vital task in a very specific context and manner that it may be very difficult to get your body to cooperate. It just feels "wrong"! And it isn't very comfortable. With practice, you get the hang of it, but that first time...

I think that dogs operate in much the same way. If they are only ever given the opportunity to eliminate outdoors, then it just feels "wrong" to eliminate indoors. They don't need to be scolded or disciplined; you just need to anticipate their needs and set it up so that they only ever eliminate outside. (Accidents happen, of course, but do your best.) And every time they eliminate outdoors, it reinforces the "good" habit and the "bad" habit of eliminating indoors fades away a little more.

Interestingly, I have seen this happen with dogs who came to our house and had never been in gravel pens (the dog WOULD NOT eliminate on the gravel for the first few days... we have to let her out onto the grass to "go") or who knew how to walk on a leash but had only ever eliminated in a pen or fenced yard (the dog WOULD NOT poop on a leash... he eventually learned, but it took time).

In sum, it works because you set the dog up for success, and because you build the "right" habit.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Excellent explanation Tofu pup!