Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How can I get "Official Papers"

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by Laddie's Mom, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I am getting so ticked. I wrote her last night and she still has not answered. I don't understand this, she had nothing to loose by doing what she said she would do, it does not make sense.

She was one of the breeders that on the contract said not to desex until he was a year or more, well, I did it when he was 6 months, I have always done my male dogs at this age, and the vet said it was perfectly safe. Geesh, talk about controlling.

2. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Perhaps someone who understands how Kennel Clubs operate can answer a question. I understand that it falls on the breeder to register the pups, but my question is this: If the NZKC were made aware that this breeder failed to follow her own signed contract could they be persuaded to pressure her to live up to her contract? If NZKC would deny her the right to register further pups, she would be more receptive to resolving this issue.

On the flip side, I am becoming more and more frustrated with some of the things I have found in breeder contracts (some breeder contracts). But my bottom line is - it's their contract and I can either accept it or not. But, I see this situation a little differently. IMO, it is outrageous that the breeder will not live up to the terms that she set. To me, its a simple contracts case. She wrote the terms and is now violating them. I wonder though, does the fact that you have also violated the contract make legal remedies questionable?

3. Laddie's Mom

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    Here is what the contract says regarding the limited pedigree:
    OK, I understood this, but, she did tell me that she was going to register them at a later date, and to send me his name, etc. So, I did, a few weeks back and that was when she was not planning on registering him as he was sold as "Pet only". Seems something is wrong here.

As to the desex issue:
    Well, again, I was under the impression that 6 months was old enough, he apparently felt it was as he was "mating" anything in sight. The vet assured me this was the correct age to do this. To be honest, the breeder did not approve of desexing at all.

Anyway, this is truly a dilemma, I just wanted the paperwork for my records and so I could do agility competitions or obedience, looks like something else has been denied me since moving here, ugh.

4. celloyogi

celloyogi Forums Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012
    southeast MI
    Good point. Even if Laddie's mom gets a some sort of documentation from the vet about the neutering being necessary and/or medically acceptable, contracts (at least in the States) can be null and void if one party violates their end of the deal. If Laddie's breeder doesn't approve of neutering at all, I imagine there is little Laddie's mom can do to convince her otherwise. Seems strange that given the breeder's belief about neutering that she would bother to include that part in the contract at all, except for the purposes of registration. Maybe that's part of the NZKC rules?

Situation feels sketchy (suspicious) to me.

5. Laddie's Mom

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I do not know anything about the NZ rules. This is all new to me. Most breeders insist you neuter your dog before a year, at least the ones I have dealt with in the past. They do not want a person breeding outside their lines. Man, this stinks.

Another thing that is strange, she had all the pups "chipped" before they were sold, she said this way, she can keep track of them all their life. Now, isn't that against the law? To me, this is almost like I do not own the dog. I did not give it a thought at first, but now, I am concerned, there is nothing I can do about it, but, it does make me nervous.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    She was actually required by law to microchip. But as she is no longer the legal owner of the dog the microchip must be transferred into your name. She should have given you the microchip transfer papers, signed by her, at the time she sold you the pup. Contact you council about this one. She has no legal rights over your dog so if he gets picked up you are the only one who can get him out of the pound. And you could get fined for not having him in your name.

This woman needs a swift kick up the behind. A responsible breeder should have all these things organised for prospective owners.

7. Laddie's Mom

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I finally heard from her yesterday, she was most apologetic and has promised to get the paper work for "limited Register" to me as soon as the show paper work she has been working on is finished. So, now I feel better.:smile2:

8. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    I'm glad to hear that you are making progress in getting Laddie's papers. When you have them in hand, you will feel so much better.

9. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I also had trouble getting papers too. I didn't Jody's until he was almost 1 1/2 years old. The breeder clammed that AKC had "messed up" (those were her words) and registered the litter twice. Even if that DID in fact happen I doubt very seriously it would take so long to fix. I couldn't talk to her over the phone, just email. I knew I would start accusing her of selling me non-registrable dog if I talked to her, but an email would give me the opportunity to have the things she told me on record and I'd be able to keep my head.:wink2: But I got the papers, finally, but I'm not doing any more busyness with her ever again.:mad:

10. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    It just astounds me the amount of problems you are having with this dog. If it isn't behavior its issues with breeder getting proper papers. I had read in another thread your comment about his behavior with your husband, and he is out of control. (improper breeding comment)....?
    That is totally silly, and I don't know what article you read, but I certainly would be looking to other sources for help in "controlling" this dog.

Back to this issue~
    First off, I would have never took a puppy unless I had proper papers. The dog needed "transfer of ownership" to you, and registration papers should have been givin to you, unless breeder was holding them until the dog was neutered, and proof of it being done.

Limited registration & full registration, as you are finding out are two different things.

That litter should have been registered with whatever the proper organization. I don't know much about other organizations other than AKC.

And if you desire to do agility or rally,I do not believe you need to have registration papers to participate.

BUT if you do have the DNS # of parents, you yourself can easily by-pass this breeder, and obtain registration for this dog. (providing the litter has been registered). And most registrations can be done online. I did 3 all online with AKC. I hope you get this sorted out, good luck