Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How do you slow a Sheltie down?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Piper's mom, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    A week ago Piper pulled a muscle in his right front leg (my fault...I shouldn't have taken him for a play date with another dog...too much craziness). Now just under a week from a Rally and Obedience trial and it's so hard to get him to slow down! It's very minor pull (I am not even seeing him limp anymore) and he's on Metacam (went to the vet yesterday) and no jumps or walks. On a scale of 1-10 for level of energy he's always a 9.5 so trying to get him to scale back is almost impossible! Plus he's got a break from his obedience training for Saturday and Sunday so he's pretty much bouncing off the walls lol.
    I may have to tie him down tomorrow as we're not going to be doing any excercizes until Monday and probably no jumps until Tuesday or Wednesday in preparation for Thunder Bay on Saturday and Sunday.
    Lesson learnt...no play dates 2 weeks before a trial!

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When Mr Chance pulled a muscle in his rear leg it was so bad that the vet recommended he needed to be crated for two weeks! Only going out for potty breaks! He was six at the time so I got an xpen which was small enough for him to stand and turn around and walk a few steps. That worked really well. Set one up in the house and outside. It happened in the summer thank goodness. It would have been so much more difficult in the winter with snow and ice!

How about doggie treat puzzles to keep him occupied?

So sorry he got hurt! Hope he is on the mend soon!

3. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I have a few small collapsable octagonal crate things. They are bigger than traditional crates and because they aren't rectangular, a cone is not a problem. Also, they are relatively inexpensive on amazon/ebay (x-pens are pricey). Good for travelling since they fold up, too. Gavin is older so I didn't have to worry about him chewing a hole in the fabric. Definitely not for leaving puppies alone, tho.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    If he is too active, I would consider not using the Metacam (ask your vet first of course). This way he will feel a little pain and therefore slow himself down. Sometimes the pain meds do more harm then good because they mask the injury and the dog risks injuring themselves more.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thanks for the reply's, Piper is actually doing much better....I'm actually just trying to slow him down so he doesn't reinjure it (not that he would lol). There's no limp that I can see anymore it's just that he's so bouncy and jumps at/on everything even without the Metacam. He's just on it for 4 days so tomorrow will be the last...