Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Do You Treat Loose Bowels?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by OntarioSheltie, May 26, 2008.

1. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadie has been having a bit of a problem for the last 24 hours. I've started feeding her rice and encouraging her to drink water. Does anyone else treat loose bowels differently?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Pumpkin!

After treating one of mine for this problem from the time she was a tiny puppy with every drug under the sun, the best thing ever I've found for solving loose bowels if there is no underlying problem is plain canned pumpkin. Just make sure you don't get the canned pumpkin pie mix--regular old canned pumpkin is what you want. Give her a tablespoon or so (mine all love it) initially. You can also top her food with a tablespoon and give it intermittently during the day as needed.

If this doesn't work in a day or so, and you are feeding her rice/chicken etc., she'll probably need to see the vet. But if it's nothing serious the pumpkin will cure it! :yes: Let us know how Sadie does. Good luck! :smile2:

3. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks!

I'm not sure if she ate something off the ground or if she has a bug, I don't think its too serious. I'll definitely pick up a can of pumpkin after work and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes, Thanks! :smile2:

4. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Pumkin does work !

I also have used pumpkin on Kiara. When she first came home she had loose stools. I remember Ann posting once prior about Pumpkin. I gave it a try and viola, loose stools bye bye.:lol:

5. SunChaser

SunChaser Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2008
    Central Florida
    If the loose bowels is not accompanied with vomiting just add some pumpkin to some cooked, plain white rice for a couple of meals and then slowly add her kibble back into her diet.

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Update

Sadie vomited a bit when I got home. There was more loose stools too, I gave her rice for breakfast and NONE of it was digested. There was some blood too.

I called the vet immediately, I was told to keep up with rice and a bit of chicken and that if it persisted to bring in a stool sample tomorrow.

She doesn't seem as bad, she only vomited that one time and hasn't had any more loose stools. So far she's keeping her food down and its been a few hours.

Trying to keep her quiet is like trying to keep a toddler quiet, I guess she's not that bad if she doesn't want to stay quiet.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Lots of Water

I always figure there's somethig bad trying to get out, so let it! As long as she's drinking plenty so there's no chance of dehydration, most of these things run their couorse i a day or so. Still, it's always wise to check w :yes:ith the vet.

8. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    One of my girls had loose stools and vomited a couple of weeks ago. I feed her the rice and hamburger and she didn't get any better after 2 days so I took her in to the vet. Come to find out she had a really bad urinary tract infection. I think I would call the vet again if she is not any better today. Hope she is getting better.

9. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I called the vet this morning

They don't seem as concerned about it as I am, they took a stool sample and said they would call me back. I stayed home with her this morning but had to work this afternoon.

She doesn't seem as though she's in any pain and is very frustrated that I'm trying to keep her quiet, so I suppose thats a good sign. She's eating and drinking, though not as much as she usually would so I'm a bit worried about dehydration too. The blood she's passing is whats really bothering me, and the fact that this has been going on since sunday morning. I hope she shows some improvement soon. I feel so badly for her, she so obviously not feeling well, I guess its similar when your child isn't well and you want to make him/her feel better :(

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    When my little one was having her worst bouts of diahrrea, she would pass blood as well. I think it might be symptomatic of irritation. It could also be a symptom of worms, which is probably one thing your vet is checking the sample for, or she might need an antibiotic. If you are concerned about her not drinking enough, try mixing a bit of chicken broth in her water. Or you can even give her water you've dissolved a chicken boillion cube in.

If she feels good and doesn't want to be quiet, that's a good sign. But you're smart to pursue it with your vet. Trust your instincts--no one knows your dog like you do. :yes: You can always ask them to run some bloodwork if nothing else shows up and you still don't think she's OK.

Keep us posted! We're sending good thoughts and pats to Sadie. There's nothing worse than trying to figure out what's going on when they don't feel good. :sadsmile: