Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Do You Treat Loose Bowels?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by OntarioSheltie, May 26, 2008.

1. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Am Feeling VERY frustrated

Day 4 of Sadie being sick has begun and is still showing no signs of letting up. I had high hopes for the pumpkin helping her but unfortunately it is flying through her just as fast as everything else. Since the canned pumpkin is already soft its actually made her stools completely turn to liquid. She doesn't seem to be digesting anything at all, it goes out looking exactly like it went in and takes only about 6 hours.

My patience has just about run out, I'm tired of cleaning up the messes and poor Sadie has been so patient, despite not feeling well and not being allowed to go for walks.

I know letting it run its course is the best thing, but this is starting to get ridiculous. Perhaps I should try some Pepto Bismol tablets or half an imodium tablet?

2. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Take her to the vet. Call and insist that they see her today. My vet wouldn't have let my dog go that long. There is something else going on with her and she needs to be checked out. Sorry, but I would insist that they see her. Zoe did that for two days and like I said before, she had a urinary tract infection. She wasn't really eating at all either.

I hope she gets better quickly. I know what you feel like! I had to stop Zoe at the door everytime she went out. I would have wet and dry paper towels and the trash can ready to clean her up. She loves to be on the furniture and I was not about to clean that up off of my couches!!

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Time for Vet

It sounds as if you really need something stronger at this point. I wouldn't do a human medication since you don't really know exactly what you're dealing with. The veterinary go-to drug of choice for this type of thing is metronidazole or flagyl. It's a very strong drug, but it usually does the job. Your pup may need an antibiotic if she's dealing with some sort of infection too...it really is time to put your vet's feet to the fire and tell them she's getting worse and needs medication! There is also a shot they can give her to stem the tide. After all this time, you need to be concerned about dehydration too. I know you said you'd seen them and they weren't too concerned but, at this point, they should be! I wouldn't wait any longer to get ahold of them. Poor little Sadie! Good luck!

4. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    By the way, my mom works for a vet office and you can give her a whole Imodium tablet every 8 hours. I tried it for Zoe and it didn't really work. I really hope she gets better soon!

5. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    the vets office said yesterday that they'd give me a prescription if she got worse but that since her movements where slightly formed (even though just barely) that they didn't want to give her anything. That i should just keep giving her rice and chicken.

At this point she's had enough of the rice. I've mixed it with pumpkin and chicken but even though she likes the pumpkin (which is on everything) she just picked through the rice and only ate the chicken. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

I was told in the past that Pepto Bismol was ok for dogs, and recently read else where that you could give imodium to dogs too, which is why I'm thinking about it now. I think I'll give the imodium a try (since I always worked well for me) but if she hasn't improved by tomorrow I'll call the vet again.

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    btw, isn't flagyl/metronidazole an antifungal drug?

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I don't know the answer to that one...I just know it's what my dogs have always been prescribed for diahrrea. You can probably get more information on it if you Google it.

8. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Time for a second oppinion !!

Dear OntarioSheltie, Please do yourself and Sadie a great big favor and get her to another vet. :sadsmile: She can get easily dehydrated and will need to get iv fluids if this keeps up.:uhoh: She needs something to be done. Unfortunately just as with our own doctors there comes a time where we must become insistant on what we expect from the vet in this case.

9. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    She doesn't seem dehydrated....yet. She's drinking fairly regularly (though not as much as I'd like, considering) and the fur on her back remain very elastic when I pull it up. She certainly hasn't lost her appetite, she begs for treats constantly, she's just tired of rice. I can't say I blame her, I've never been a fan of white rice myself.

Tonight I'm going to try some imodium as a last resort and give her some ice to lick just to be safe, but if I don't see a BIG improvement by tomorrow morning then I'm going to be making a big stink at the vets office.

Its hard, I used to be a co op student at my vets office, I consider my vet to be a friend and I've never doubted her judgement before. If it were another vet and not Sam, I would have already made a big stink about this. I almost wonder if the technician got some of the details I gave her wrong, its very unlike Sam not to err on the side of caution.

Poor Sadie though, she's been so good...

10. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Happy Ending...I think

When I got home from work last night Sadie was MUCH worse. She was having projectile bowel movements and refused to eat any rice or pumpkin.

I called the vet and they finally gave me some medication for her (flagyl/metronitazole, like Anne mentioned), they even hand delivered it to my door.

Today she seems to be feeling much better, I bought her some baby food (chicken and rice) which she is gobbling down and when I let her outside to do her business she was playing in the back yard, chasing the rays of sun. She doesn't seem sleepy or lethargic anymore. She hasn't had a bowel movement yet and its almost the afternoon, so I'm hoping she won't go till later in the day and that it will be more normal.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and support!