Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Do You Treat Loose Bowels?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by OntarioSheltie, May 26, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I am so very glad Sadie is getting better. Is there anything more worrisome than a sick furkid? :no:

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Great News!

This is great news, thanks for sharing! :biggrin2: We all send our best wishes and pats to little Sadie. Hopefully the medication will stem the tide until her system can get back to normal. Just don't rush to put her back on her regular diet...baby food is great for sick pups. Once she's better, work her very slowly back to her dog food. :yes: Maybe now that she's improving you can relax...Chris is right, there's nothing worse than having your furkids sick!

3. MadisMomma

MadisMomma Forums Regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! And so sorry that little Sadie is ill :no:

I hope the medication will help her (and you!) feel better soon!

(((HUGS)))

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, Madismom, she's not doing quiet as well as I'd hoped she'd be. She's still having watery stools on and off but the vet assured me this is normal and that it may take the full 7 days of antibiotic before her digestive system returns back to normal.

Otherwise she seems to be feeling much better, she's full of energy and frustrated that we're not excersising her as frequently or for as long. She's eating and drinking well too. We've been giving her chicken with rice baby food as she's decided she's above eating white rice and chicken. She absolutely loves it and practically inhales the baby food if you're standing near her when she's eating, she thinks its so good that you must want it too and you might steal it from her!

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so glad Sadie is doing better. Baby food is the comfort food of Shelties. :lol:

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    The Saga Continues

Well, Sadie finished her medication last night but her loose stools are again showing no improvement. The food at least looks digested now but her stools still aren't formed. Sadie is otherwise happy and full of energy and eating and drinking normally.

I called the vet again last night, the technicians told me to stop the babyfood and only give her rice, chicken and kibble. They want to rule out that the small amount of baby food I'm giving her might be continuing the problem, but I'm pretty sure thats not the issue. If she's still having the problem tomorrow they want me to give them another stool sample so they can send it away to be analyzed for less common parasites that might be making her sick.

Sadie and I are both tired of the constant "bum baths" (no soap, of course), the thought of shaving her rear end is almost becoming tempting.

I hope this is over soon! :(

7. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Poor baby ....

We all feel your pain about poor Sadie. I do hope she gets better soon.

It sounds like much more than the average runs I have had to deal with. I'd say every 2 months or so Gavin gets into something...and then for a few days he gets rice and pumpkin (or baby food, if I have it) until I start mixing in some Kibble.

But I do know about the 'cleaning the puppy bum'...and so does poor gavin. he looks so ashamed, poor guy, when I gets the paper towel and/or scissors. And the ultimate insult...air freshner sprayed around his bum :wink2:

Cindy

8. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadie looks very ashamed too. I don't get upset with her but she senses that I'm not happy and thinks she's been bad. I've been praising her and telling her she's good but she looks so ashamed when I'm cleaning her off, or spraying her with deodorizer. Poor girl!

9. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Zoe got the same look on her face last month everytime I greeted her at the door with the wet and dry paper towels. Poor girl was always trying to wipe her own bottom on the ground which would make it worse! Nothing better than grass stuck to the bottom!! Zoe hates it when I lift up her tail to check her bottom!

I hope Sadie gets over it soon. Have you tried giving her any of her regular food with rice yet? Small amounts? I know when Zoe was sick I started her back on her reg. food in small amounts with some rice and her system got back to normal pretty quickly. Just curious as to if you have tried that at all.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Bum Baths...

In Sheltie terms, those bum baths are a bummer. :mad: Mine hate it too when they need the cleanup routine. I started keeping a container of those extra thick baby wipes by the door. When it's not too bad, it's easy to grab one of those and they also smell good. I figure if they're safe for babies, why not furbabies? But then there are those times things are so bad that they require the trip to the bathtub. Eeeuuw.

When Pixie had the kind of problem you're describing, the vet found she had coccidia--a nasty type of worm that is diffuclt to get rid of except with a specific antibiotic she had to take for several months. It doesn't always show up in a regular vet stool check. I hope for your sake it's something like that and you get an answer and a cure! Love and pats to poor Sadie--and poor you! :sadsmile: