Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How Do You Treat Loose Bowels?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by OntarioSheltie, May 26, 2008.

1. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been giving her some of her regular food with rice for a few days now but I still have the same result; its just not getting any better :(

Thanks for the great tip about baby wipes Ann, I hadn't thought of that. I've just been wetting paper towels and its getting to be very inconvenient. I'll definitely go pick some up tonight.

I'm thinking that she probably does have a less common parasite, I know they can get them from picking up or eating animal poop and she'd been around fowl and horses shortly before this all began.

2. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Poor Sadie

I'm sure you are extremely frustrated by now. :sadsmile: I know I would be. I hope Sadie gets better real soon. I will say a prayer to Saint Francis for her. He's the patron saint of animals. May he intercede on Sadies behalf for her to be well.:yes: Keep the Faith Sadie's Mom.
    Sheltie hugs to Sadie and God Bless you!

3. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I appreciate the prayer.

My husband was home with Sadie today. He was very frustrated that he had to bath her after she went out to do her business (poor boy, I've done it every other time :smile2: ). I called the vet immediately and told them she's getting worse again so I'll be bringing in another stool sample in the morning.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that they find something this time!

The support from everyone really means alot! Thank you!

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    This is so difficult -- I know because we went through it with Bits a while back. We used baby wipes, too, because we found the stomach acid in the stool was causing her hind end to become red and swollen.

I'm sending requests for helpful intervention from St. Francis as well.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Just a thought...if your vet finds that Sadie doesn't have a parasite and they can't find anything definitive from her stool sample, ask them about testing for IBS, IBD or colitis. That was the diagnosis Pixie got after her long bout of coccidia. We've been able to keep it under control with careful feeding and occasional medication. I'm not sure how the vets diagnose it other than with an endoscopy but it might be worth asking about. Here's a bit of internet information on it...
    http://www.geocities.com/ibdogsintl/ibdvsibs.html

Good luck tomorrow ~ we'll be waiting for the update!

6. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I brought the stool sample in this morning, they sent it away to be analyzed this time so hopefully I'll get some results tomorrow.

In the mean time, Sadie had her first normal stool in almost two weeks! Of course this happens after I've sent the sample in. I'm trying to to jump to conclusions though, I might go back to mush by tomorrow morning.

I'll post the results when I get them.

7. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Hopefully whatever it was has finally run it's course!

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We Care

Don't you just love it that people the world over are waiting breathlessly to hear how your Sheltie's poop turns out? :lol:

9. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Lol

It is pretty funny, when you put it that way. :lol:

I still haven't heard from the vet but she had another normal stool this morning. I hope this keeps up!

10. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Update...Still Frustrated

Sadie's second stool sample came back negative. I was really hoping for a posative and some meds for her.

She's since gotten worse again, her stools are alternating between looking normal and being complete water.

To make matters worse, she chewed a tiny piece off of the end of one of my amarylis leaves, left over from Christmas. I'm sure that hasn't helped matters, since I believe their mildly poisonous. The plant is now gone and Sadie continues to have daily butt baths. Poor girl! Poor me!:sadsmile: