Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How long to feed puppy food

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Roberta, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Greetings!

I feed my 6 month old female Sheltie Orijen Puppy food, 1/2 cup 3 times a day. How long should I keep her on puppy food?

In case it matters, she weighs 12.4 pounds and measures about 12 1/2 inches from the ground to the top of her shoulders. The breeder I got her from told me she would be small, probably not more than 16 pounds.

My 2 older male Shelties (9 and 13 years) get Fromm Grain Free. They are big boys, both between 25 - 30 pounds. I can't remember how long I kept the older ones on puppy food before transitioning to the adult food. Thanks for your help.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hi Roberta and welcome! I feed puppy food until they're around six months old and then transition them to adult, unless they're small, underweight or otherwise look like they need it longer. Shelties tend to put on weight easily and sometimes puppy food can contribute to that. We also cut down to two meals a day at the six-month point, just feeding them more at those two feedings.

Hope this helps!

Roberta likes this.
  3. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    I had this same question. I bought another bag of puppy food just this morning, debating whether or not I should move onto adult since my puppy is nearly 7 months. The bags have no info regarding age. I have been feeding her two meals a day since I got her at 4 months though since she is taking many training treats.