Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How much do you pay for dental cleaning? Sandstorm's estimate is $750 to 1200, have to cancel

Discussion in 'General Health' started by KarenCurtis, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Not always the case, sometimes it has to do with how big the facility is and how much it costs to run. I went back to my home town when we got our Vet to a much higher priced zip code to see our family vet for our dogs. She is amazing, but having talked to friends I find her prices to be on par and in some cases cheaper than the surrounding lower priced zip codes. She has a surgical clinic, but she spends her money on animal care not on the most shiny, amazing facility. During emergencies we've visited some of those clinics and the prices are reflective of the facility you visit. We paid premium prices because it was an emergency. However people I've spoken to who use the places for primary care also talk about the higher price for regular services. I'm just mentioning it isn't always the zip code, sometimes it is also the facility.

I will say price has never been my first factor. Clearly I have to pay the bill so I'm not going to lie to myself and say I'll pay anything. However, I won't go cheap if I can't trust a vet and I won't pay more for a Vet I don't trust just because they have an association with a clinic or facility that seems to be in demand.

We are truly blessed in this area that are multiple vets in many towns so for instance in my town there are 2 and in the town we choose to go to there are 2 more and in just the towns we touch I can't think of a town with less than 2. That gives us the benefit of finding a Vet we trust and the reality that the Vets have to compete on costs and services. Since there are so many vets in this area I do find it interesting what it is that draws people to "their" vet because people can be fiercly loyal and wonder why it is you don't use their vet. I always have the opt out that it is a family thing, but people can be really defensive about whom they visit and why. I'm always amazed. In our neighborhood alone, people travel to towns all around us to see vets for their animals. Everyone has a reason why that vet. I guess we are truly blessed that we have so many to choose from that we can spread out among them.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I have to agree with this. Although, price is always a factor, it's not always my first thought. In other situations, like a mechanic or housework, I've gone the cheaper route and many times it turned out to be "you get what you pay for." I'm not saying that a cheaper vet will have less quality skills and poor equipment, but other than price, you should always consider the vet, the facility, reviews, etc. It might turn out the cheaper option is a great facility with great vets. Sometimes the cost of vet care is based on cost of living and if you go to a different zip code, you'll receive the same quality and treatment for cheaper.

I would just recommend to do additional research on any vet and hospital when considering surgery, especially one you are not familiar with.

3. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm always asking people about their local Vets when it's appropriate to bring into a conversation. You never know when you will want a second opinion, etc. It helps to get feedback from people who have similar views on how they manage their dogs. It also helps to stay aware about what other kinds of options are out there. We use some holistic treatments like chiro and massage, so talking with others about what they do, where they go, etc. gives us some ideas about what the going prices are in the area for traditional and alternative care.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When Minnie were sterilized, I chose a rather expensive vet + Extra - 160 usd - driving expenses.
    because I thought it was a huge operation on my little Minnie :hugs

Had it been a dental cleaning, I would probably have made Shop around for a cheap price :yes:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! my mom wants a girl Shellie named Minnie!

Hanne likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie here:
    Sandstorm - I am absolutely sure you'll love her- because my mother says that MinnieĀ“s are the best.:hugs
    I must tell you she does not smell right at first - but smells of baby and that smell is strange :confused2:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just scheduled a dental for Logan. Now that we have his bronchitis under control the vet said it was safe to do the procedure!

The breakdown as follows:

PreAnesthesia Panel
    $85.00

Cleaning/polishing. $50.00

Day stay at vet. $19.00

Bio hazard. $2.00

Anastasia. $98.00

IV fluids
    $30
    $284.00 total

Barons vet wanted to charge $800!

Hanne likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Logan got back from his dental visit and he had to have one large tooth pulled and 5 lower front teeth. Poor boy. The vet told me had I not done them now I would have been back in 6 months as they would have been too loose. He said if it was his dog he would not put them through another dental if it could be accomplished now.

He is resting comfortably now as I gave him a small bit of canned food. He is on pain killers and antibiotics too. Will be more vigilant about clean his teeth. He is getting older now and I do not want to put him under again especially with his compromised breathing since he has chronic doggie Bronchitis!

Total cost was $285.

9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Well I went ahead and got the Petsmile toothpaste for 25 bucks in the hopes Fillion and Koko never have to go back under again...I am trying to be diligent and use it every day. Guess I won't know for awhile if it's working or not!