Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Humping after his bath

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by SuzieQ1960, Feb 22, 2011.

1. SuzieQ1960

SuzieQ1960 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009
    Hermiston, Oregon
    I bathed all my dogs yesterday, and ever since he got out of the tub Aonghus has been humping everything in sight! Has anyone else experienced behavior like this? Also, since the bath he is very affectionate to me and keeps sniffing and licking any bit of exposed skin that I might have. He is not normally a cuddly, lovable fellow, so I am confused and a bit concerned. Is he okay? Will he go back to normal?

2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2010
    Surrey British Columbia
    maybe the warm water? is he still intact? I've not experienced this.. my last dog was a male but the only thing he ever did that to was a stuffed fox.

3. SuzieQ1960

SuzieQ1960 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009
    Hermiston, Oregon
    Yes, he is intact, but he's never acted like this after a bath before, he is weirding me out!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I think maybe he just got a little excited...Bentley humps a lot around bedtime because he licks himself the most then....:eek:

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Sounds like he really LOVES his bath :lol:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah: "Bath, brushing...must be date night! Just brush myteeth, and I'm good to go!" :lol:

7. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

Oh Chris! This was my laugh of the night!

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    OH HELLO......he was feeling GOOD after his hot bath!:biggrin2::biggrin2:

The licking is a trait that I also wish would go away.I swear Trapp has a thing for my feet,legs...and heaven forbid I have lotion on.I may as well just rub myself and let him go at it. (not really) but it is annoying.So I hope that once the snip snip happens,the desire to lick will diminish.

But then I look & think about males that mark,and I don't have the problem.Thank heavens.

9. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Premium Member

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe he is just thanking you for making him feel good! Both of mine really like when I give them a bath. Katie will even lie down in the tub and wait while I am feeling the water temp! They will turn around and give me their paws to wash. They go nuts for the towel dry! And then I get licks galore from both. Katie gets lick attacks - she will lick whatever she can get hold of. Laddie just wants to kiss, period! Neither of them have ever humped anything. Laddie's been snipped and Katie also spayed. Years ago we had a wonderful Lhasa Apso girl who wanted to hump everything! Go figure.

10. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Even though Chandler is fixed he has always been a "Happy Humper" :lol: His preferred time is anywhere from 11:00-midnight and after bathtime. He get's all happy after a bath and prances around like he is king. He will hump poor Gypsy from the front,side ,back anywhere he can. He also is an air humper. :eek2: Now that is a sight. I just tell him to put his "lipstick" away and get over himself. Both Lacey and Gypsy learned just to sit down as fast as they could to escape his rath.:uhoh: