Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I need a raincoat for Claussen and Little Bear

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Lysette85, Sep 16, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    When I was 10 I dressed my sheltie up us a Spice Girls...so I know what you mean :wink2:.

I'm with you. The only time Bailey gets dressed up is for Halloween, a rain coat and booties for the snow. I don't have a yard, so Bailey gets walked on city streets and there's lots of snow salt. When she was a puppy, she would lift her foot up because the salt was burning her paws. I immediately went out and bought her booties.

I see nothing wrong with a sweater, rain coat or booties, if it's making your dog more comfortable. I hope you can find a raincoat in Claussen's size.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I definitely get booties if you are doing long hikes in the snow.

But seriously for the average dog walking, none of this stuff is required. Of course, I'll change my tune if I succeed in opening up my pet store in the next few months....in which case I'm sure I'll be flogging boots and coats and sweaters galore! The high margin stuff. Just saying......

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Callie does not appreciate the rain at all.
    One day I was taking her and previous dog Happy to the vet. Happy had a raincoat because he used to have issues with getting wet. so I put it on Callie and took them both to the vet. Everyone said they both needed coats so after- we headed to Petsmart.
    You pretty much need to take the dog with you and try things on to see what will actually work. so Callie has her raincoat with hood- she can wear Happy's old coat - I kinda doubt either of the pups would fit in the spare coat.
    luckily the pups don't care if it's raining so I only have to walk one dog in a raincoat:wink2:

if wearing the raincoat makes walking in the rain less stressful for your dog- go for it :smile2:

4. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

Mikos pulls a Claussen!

Today I was feeling your frustration DanteBella85! We had our first really heavy rainfall in quite a while and Mikos wasn't going to have anything to do with being outside! He normally doesn't care but today I had to drag him out, and after a quick squirt he was back inside watching the rest of us from the door:no: What a goober:biggrin2:

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Sorry, but I think we are raising "woosy" dogs! Come on, these dogs coats are bred for bad weather and so are the dogs. If our dogs can no longer take a little "wet" then I'm thinking there is something seriously going on with the breed.

I'm not joking here. And I'm probably going to make myself unpopular here.
    Do you really think that these pups can't stand a little rain? Part of why we love Shelties is because they ARE so resilient to weather! But if you over-protect them from what they are bred to resist, then, of course, they willl learn to resist it.

But it gets worse...if you are breeder and you keep you dogs "coddled" then gradually, the things that make a Sheltie wonderful....their long guard hairs, thick undercoats, etc. will disappear - simply because you have have nurtured them that way. I would not want to see this bred out of the Sheltie.

Ok, maybe its just me. But I really, really, really don't think this is good for the dog. Simply convenience for the owner.

Like I said before.....My dogs go out in the rain, and get towel dried. I can understand if you were doing 2 hour hikes that some protection may be necessary. But for most owners? Get real! We're not talking about teacup yorkies here! THESE ARE SHELTIES!

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't agree with you, Barb. Bentley has hated to go out when it's wet since we first brought him home. We drag him out regardless. He doesn't get to choose. He has never had a jacket or raincoat of any kind.

Yet he still, at 4 years old, balks when we get him outside into the wet grass. He will stand stock still while I drag him into the grass. I have never encouraged the behavior, or catered to it. I simply ignore it and get on with trying to walk him to his potty area. If he does go to the bathroom, he gets a "good boy" just like he does when it is dry outside.

I just wanted to point out that some dogs just don't like getting wet...and it doesn't have to be caused by them being babied.

7. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

I'll agree with you Barb, and I don't think you will be unpopular! I live on the rainy west coast of Canada so while we don't get the cold and snow many of the rest of you get, we do have lots and lots of rain! Even Princess Petey, the 6lb maltese cross doesn't wear rain gear, sweaters or boots! We just don't happen to be a dress your dog family. On the other hand I have a huge stack of old towels at the back door for rub downs and feet wiping! I give it 2 more days of rain or a bold squirrel and Mikos will back to running in the rain:biggrin2:

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Sorry, but I don't agree. Their coats are made for harsher weather, but I don't believe their temperaments were bred to enjoy being wet. They'll do what their owner wants because their willing to please, but most shelties do not like being wet.

Bailey clearly doesn't like the rain, but she will tolerate it. She'll go out in the rain, do her business and do anything else I ask of her, but she is constantly shaking water off her fur, walking around puddles and clearly wants to go back inside as soon as possible. Once inside, she starts rubbing against the walls & couch and rolling on the carpet.

But you are right, making Bailey wear a rain coat is definitely a convenience for me. Sorry, but I don't like the wet dog smell and I don't like my dog rubbing her wet fur all over my apartment. Yes, her coat repels water, but when it's heavy raining, even toweling her off does not completely dry her. She is still damp and reeks of wet dog.

While wearing a raincoat that takes two and a half seconds to put on & take off, 3/4 of Bailey's fur is completely dry, the wet dog smell isn't as pungent and my furniture is not covered in wet Bailey fur. The good thing is Bailey doesn't mind wearing the rain coat and might I add, she looks adorable. :wink2:

Attached Files:

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  10. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Oh,Oh the pictures are making me rethink my position on this one...sorry Barb.
    It would be pretty silly to buy raincoats for our 3 or 4 rainy days here, but those pictures are adorable!