Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I never taught Sandstorm the down stay- how??

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by KarenCurtis, Jun 22, 2017.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi all. I haven't posted in this training forum for years, I'm usually in the Shellie chat forum. Sandstorm will be 8 yrs old next month, he's turned out to be a really good dog! I have taught him basic stuff, and he will stay on command when I am out of his sight, for about 2 minutes and I think he could do it for longer than that. Sometimes after those minutes I will get in sight of him and he will be lying down, but in the same sit stay spot. I never taught him the down stay, and I have no idea how to! I don't want to push him down, and he is very food oriented, so food works with him. I think the down is important for safety, and really would like him to learn it, thanks all for suggestions.
    Karen

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The way I taught Piper (which was taught to me by our very first trainer) was doing the stand down stand (which also teaches stand, Use this if you want your dog to go down front first, not butt first). Use food to the dogs nose and say down as you draw his nose down towards the floor, once down reward. (Slight pressure on the neck will help them down as well. To do the stand place your hand between the top of the back leg at the belly and with the other hand on the leash say stand pull forward on the leash while applying slight pressure near back leg and reward. This really helped me with Piper, I swear he forgot how to do his down so I went back to basics.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Didn't notice you wanted the down stay, another way to teach down is use the treat at the nose to get him down by slowly taking the treat down to the floor while saying down, once he's down give him the treat and praise. Once he's gotten the down you can work on the stay...on leash (in heel position) tell him down and stay and pivot in front of him while holding the leash. You should start in small increments of time so say week 1 work on a 10-15 second down stay increasing by 15 seconds per week. If he starts to break pull the leash down towards the floor and say un un or whatever you usually say. Work on the length of time of the stay's and gradually increase the distance between you and the dog eventually removing the leash. Always return to your dog to heel position before you release him. Once he maintains his stays start to introduce distractions such as someone throwing a ball, clapping your hands, running away from him or jumping in front of the dog. once your dog consistently stays in the house work on them outside in your backyard (going back to the dog on leash with you right in front of him) and start right back at the beginning again because these distractions will be even greater. Then supermarkets, pet stores etc but always going back to square one and working back up.
    Ignore the first way to do a down, it's a good way to teach a down but if you want to teach a down for safety better to teach it this way, good luck

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm and I thank you Piper's mom! We will let you know how it goes!

5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts

6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Well, Sandstorm has no idea what down means. I tried, but nope. I gave up- he is just not a down dog.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you can always try to capture it - as you see he is about to lie down on his own, say down and give him the cookie between his legs when he is down.
    that's how I taught Callie down and then sit. and she did get her rally novice title. our hardest part was her staying in position when I walked around her- we had to really work on that.....

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Don't give up Karen, you can do it. You can help them into a down by applying slight pressure at the back of the neck...when Piper was small I would sometimes have to do this. Its a very slight amount though, try it using just the tips of your fingers (as you say down) and draw him down the rest of the way with a treat then place the treat between his paws and a big YES when he's down.

9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I tried that- he won't do it!

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes I did that also, and the first day it seemed like he would get it, the next day-nope. I tried it inside and outside. He's really great at sitting and staying for a period of time with distractions though!