Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Is freeze dried worth it?

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Cubby2014, Aug 30, 2016.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I never touch the food. I have a measured scoop, and the food goes straight from the bag to his bowl. After that just add water. The food I feed does not contain potatoes or carrots, but does have sweet potato and other veggies. I chose Bravo because it had lower fat that the others, but most all have higher fat numbers that some of the low fat kibble on the market.

2. DKBurtonAdams

DKBurtonAdams Premium Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Utah
    I think I mentioned in another thread that once I became a pet-owning adult, I started off feeding what I THOUGHT at the time was the best (Science Diet), which I now consider to be garbage.

About 10 years ago, as I became more informed about the need for appropriate and wholesome nutrition, I transitioned completely to a homemade raw diet. Bought a meat grinder, would grind up the bones and organ meet, as well as the muscle meat, added less than 10% ground veggies, and added supplements. I did that for about three or four years. The dogs did REALLY well on it and loved it... but the day-long process to grind it all up (not to mention the clean up of the ENTIRE kitchen and rust-control for the grinder's metal pieces) every two months or so just became unmanageable. I found out about "The Honest Kitchen" during that time, and started using their base (Preference) mix, as well as their Kindly (another base) mix. The dogs still loved it, and I loved that I knew it was balanced nutrition.

Ultimately, I started rotating in The Honest Kitchen's grain-free, meat-inclusive recipes (I alternate between the Beef, Turkey, and White Fish). The dogs love it just as much as the raw, and they maintained all their outward signs of vastly improved (as opposed to kibble-fed) health, with the exception being their poops are slightly larger and not chalky white like the poop is when raw-fed (which isn't a concern for me, at all).

I DO continue to rotate between a meat-ball-sized portion of ground raw beef, chicken, or turkey (and blend it into the fully re-hydrated food from The Honest Kitchen), as well as weekly rotating portions of canned sardines, organic pumpkin, raw egg, salmon oil, and a mussel or two. I typically will completely rinse any leftover meat portions from our human meals (rinsing to remove seasonings, sauces, gravy, etc.) and dice them up to mix into the following day's meal, as well. Finally, I add The Honest Kitchen's "Perfect Form" and Proden PlaqueOff Dental Care for Dogs and Cats into each serving.

I order The Honest Kitchen through Amazon's Subscribe n Save service (along with a bunch of household items and toiletries), and save 15% on it's pricing.

Finally, just recently, I decided to rotate in the occasional bag of Sojo's beef and chicken formulas into my Amazon Subscribe n Save. Really, that was more for me than the dogs... haha... they honestly both love and thrive on everything as described above, but I just feel better about providing them with a rotation of flavors and textures, plus I think that the variety hopefully adds to their overall health. As far as the food is concerned, I think Sojo's and The Honest Kitchen are fairly comparable, but I REALLY appreciate and value The Honest Kitchen's transparency, overall vision about caring for both our furkids and the planet, sustainability, securing actual, real, honest-to-goodness HUMAN GRADE (FDA Approved!) quality ingredients, and that it's made in human-grade manufacturing facilities.

Regarding dehydrated food in general: I typically spend about 7 minutes prepping my dogs' food each day, as described above. Additionally, I've found that overall, my dogs don't totally digest the rehydrated vegetable chunk matter as much as I'd like them to (for example, carrots or celery passes through their digestive system and is visible in their stool), so for all of the brands, I use a large-capacity spice/coffee grinder and blend up the dry food before I rehydrate it. Again... probably overkill on my part, but I want ALL their food to be as digestible as possible.

Finally, in terms of the original question of this thread: Do I believe it's worth it?

HECK yeah! (and I'd use more colorfully-emphatic terms, if this wasn't a family-friendly forum...ha) My dogs energy levels, their playfulness, their breath, their teeth, their skin and coat... Truly, phenomenal. Just the other day, a dog-loving friend of mine (who feeds what he feels is a high-quality kibble) was scrunching his fingers into our little Blue Merle Girl's luxurious coat, and he asked how often we bathe her. I said she hasn't had a bath in about 45 days (I also bathe my dogs myself, but she just hasn't needed one)... and he was astonished at how she didn't "smell" like dog. He even commented that despite really massaging her fur all the way to the roots, he didn't get any of the dog-smelling, waxy/powdery build up that he gets when he just casually pats his (much shorter-haired, obviously) Labrador Retriever. Our little Sheltie girl's coat remains sweet smelling and doesn't have a hint of doggie-ness to it. I attribute that almost entirely to nutrition (along with weekly brushings, of course).

Anyhoo.... Proper food and species-appropriate nutrition REALLY is a passion of mine, and to me, feeding The Honest Kitchen (and Sojos) with the fresh supplements I use both represent the highest of quality foods available coupled with the greatest convenience for the best nutrition I can give my fur-kids. I already posted about it in another forum, but if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking out the new documentary, "PET FOOleD" (on Amazon here or iTunes here).

Really sorry for how long this post is... haha.... but Dog Food is probably my FAVORITE topic ever!!!... Don't get me started in real life, lol... I'll talk your ear off! ;)

Best to all!
    Darin

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    even when shelties are dirty, they don't smell "doggy" or have that residue that you get petting short haired lab type dogs.....

Hanne likes this.
  4. DKBurtonAdams

DKBurtonAdams Premium Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Utah
    Funny how it works that way... although when I was younger and less wise and first had Shelties, I feed corn, wheat, and by-product-based extruded and rendered kibble, and my dogs definitely DID have more skin issues, flakes, dry sports, yeastier smells, etc. I figure nutrition has to play a significant part in their improved skin health and smell, today...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I'm on the 2nd 10lbs of HK Force... I don't think I have the portions quite right yet as Justus is a real chunk... I've been advised to get the veggie pre mix and just use that, saving the meat portion to serve as training treats, or as a topping. Does that sound okay?

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I feed Zulu Bravo freeze dried. He has been on it for two months and has lost 3 pounds. For a 20lb dog the bag call for 1 1/2 cups per day. Way too much! I feed half of that. I also add green beans for a filler. They have almost no calories, and Zulu loves them. I would like him to lose a pound or two more, then I will feed him a little more until we can hold that weight. Don't forget those treats. We cut back a good bit once we realized that we were both giving him those "extras" between meals.