Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Jumping

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Kelsey, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Forums Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Syracuse
    I have a three year old who is a bad jumper (up on people). What are some effective ways to eliminate this behavior? He came to us with some bad habits that we're still trying to break him of.

2. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    We ignore jumping with our lab. Turn away and give attention when sitting nicely. They soon catch on

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Put your hand out where when he jumps he hits your hand on his head. Worked for my Spitz/Cocker mix until dad encouraged him to start again because he thought it was neat he could jump so high (he could almost look you in the eye at max jump height)

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Of all the many things I've taught Piper jumping is the one thing I've had a hard time stopping. He knows the word 'off' but still pushes the limits lol, especially when his supper is on the counter! The one thing I do is when I come home (this is when he's most likely to jump) is I immediately tell him to sit as I come through the door and he listens right away. Then I take off my coat and when I'm ready I pay attention to him by getting down to his level, he loves this. You can also have a small mat and teach him to go to his mat...eventually having him go to his mat whenever someone comes to the door. Do this by standing on or near the mat and when he comes to it treat, as you perfect it add on a down when he comes to the mat (as he learns what you expect from him add the command go to your mat). You want to be close to or on the mat initially as he learns and gradually move away from it and sending him to it but just very slow progression. It's a very easy trick to teach and very helpful in many ways, can become a 'safe' place for them to be.

ghggp and Hanne like this.