Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

LADDIE AND HIS NEW CART

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ferg, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    I have been working on a harness and cart for Laddie for awhile. Harness in photo is the prototype. Final will be of Burgundy color Latigo leather. Cart will have higher racks on it. I balanced the placement of the axle so there is only the weight of the Shafts on his shoulders, less than a pound. That is, when the cart is empty.

He was a little skittish while on the driveway. Took him into the back yard where he pulled that cart as though he had been doing it all his short life. lol

IMG_1046.jpg

JacqueZ, Margi and corbinam like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh, no where Laddie is so cute with his little trolley.:yes:

Yes, Sheltie want to have a job.

Minnie here:
    Mom, I wish me such a great car for my 3rd birthday.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Did you make the cart? You did a great job. Carting is only small here and it's always done by giant breeds. Probably because a Sheltie pulling a cart would be so darn cute no one would notice the other dogs! I tried once to get Tully to pull Deska in his stroller but she kept going crooked - probably because of her dodgy hip. But it would be mighty handy for shopping.

4. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    I, like the dogs, get bored easily. That said, yes I built the cart although I am going to put racks on it and paint the cart red. The shafts will be natural. Shafts also need to be rounded and finish sanded. I have done leather work for 60 years off and on so I also made the harness. The one in the photo is a prototype. I wanted the effort put on Laddie to be as little as possible and yet make it obvious he was pulling something. The axle is placed so there is very little to no weight of the cart on him. Weight of the harness and the shafts is a pound or less. I made a wide padded strap for his chest with straps along his side that connect over his back as well. The side straps then connect to removable straps connecting to the cart.
    Wife thought I was nuts when I said I was going to build a cart for him. She didn't think he would take to it. I can assure you, the photo shows him at his best. lol
    Next project will be to build Chip a little cart so they can do their thing together.

Need to remember Laddie weighs forty pounds and stands a little over seventeen inches at the shoulders and is strong as an ox.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Now that is what I call creative. Love the cart and its amazing how well he is doing with it. Lil' Lady would
    look at me as needy as she is, you pull the cart.

6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I love this. Your Laddie could be my Beau's twin--he is also slightly over 19 inches and weighs a bit over 40 lbs. LOL. I would love to build something like this for him when he is a bit older (he is only 12 months right now). I wonder if you would ever share the patterns.

Great work! So exciting to see.

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thought you should make a small seat to lovely Chip - then Laddie can drag him :biggrin2:

8. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Hanne,
    My first thought was to put Chip in the cart and let Laddie pull him but Chip needs the exercise.

Pam,
    Laddie is fifteen months old. I have no plans since I just visualized the cart from seeing how other folks had made them for large dogs.

The harness was interesting to say the least. I made a lot of the straps longer than needed so I could change and refine where they needed to be.
    In lieu of sewing all of the spots that needed it on the prototype, I used Chicago Screws, one piece screws into the other. I will be using Burgundy colored Latigo Leather for the finished harness. It will all be hand stitched except for the laminated piece at his chest, I will do that on one of my leather sewing machines.

Will include photos of the finished product soon.

Pam and Hanne like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, I'm even more impressed. You've put a lot of thought into the design, and it looks really professionally made.

It sounds like a good idea to leave the straps longer for adjustment. I think larger dogs have different weight distribution and centres of gravity so a harness that's just been shrunk down from a bigger harness may not be that comfortable for a Sheltie (even a Collie sized one). Btw - with the cart he actually doesn't look oversized, he looks little.

Can you come to my house - I have some woodworking tasks I need done...

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    This is so creative and fun! Congratulations on a fine project!