Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Laddie's cancer spread...

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by ghggp, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

My cancer boy Gavin is almost 12..Even though the tumor hasn't grown back(yet) and isnt a type known for metastasis, well. I feel like we are on bonus time. Every new lump I find gives me a little start. Eventually, he will leave me. I just hope it is as peaceful as possible. And that I can take him to the beach one last time before I say goodbye. Even if it is in a doggie strolller.

After he was done with his radiation therapy and his leg all healed, I took him on a trip along the CA and OR coasts as kind of a celebration (and a nod to not knowing the future). That trip was all for him, and he had a blast. I am glad Laddie is feeling better today, maybe better enough to plan some fun days for him?

ghggp likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Gloria, I know how heavy your heart is. I tried my best with Ally to take one day at a time. What ever little pleasures he would still enjoy, indulge him, and know that a of us are with you in our hearts.:hugs

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Sharon and Cindy!
    Ally and Gavin were blessed to have you as owners! Love and devotion is what we give back to them as they so freely give it to us.

I wish I could walk Laddie but the hospice vet recommended not to especially since the cancer is spread to the lungs.

I know I am on borrowed time. Last year in August when he was diagnosed they said only 3-6 months. It has been over 12! The hospice vet suspected he was misdiagnosed as the ostiocsroma would have already taken him. Although the diagnosis is still cancer I guess it really doesn't mater what kind it is.

All the things he loved to do, he can't now. All I can do care for him and love him. He is not a huggy or want to cuddle type of Sheltie.

He was 32 lbs last year. Now he is down to 29. With his pancreas issues I can't really spoil him with food. Sometimes he regurgitated his lunch or dinner. He was on two meals a day but he has been on three for the past year! I guess the cancer just consumes the food first?

He just slowly walks in the yard and sometimes lays in the sun!

Yes, each day is a blessing and I will cherish each one...
    Spoiling him as best I can with his current conditions in mind.

I had a stroller for Chance but I fear Laddie is too high strung to enjoy a ride in it!

Just being together is everything now...

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I am so sorry to hear this. He is very lucky to have have. Cherish every moment you have. Send hugs to you.

ghggp likes this.
  5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My heart breaks for you....stay strong and enjoy these last moments.

ghggp likes this.
  6. PamG

PamG Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Gloria, I am so sorry about your Laddie. I am glad that he is feeling better today. Sub-Q fluids, steroids were helpful with our Skye too.
    Wishing you the best. Prayers and hugs.
    PamG Snow and Sunny

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Gavin was never a cuddly guy, and still isn't. But when he was sick, on medications, healing from surgeries, etc. he would let me lay him on me while I was laying on the couch. He would sleep on me! I was humbled throughout everything with his trust in me. As soon as he was feeling better, that was over :p

I am sorry Laddie is going down that last path....All I can say is that giving him what he wants (and not what you want to give him) is the greatest gift you can give him. If that is sunning himself on the porch, then that is the best thing you can do.

ghggp likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Strange how that works...
    Yes, when he feels bad he comes to me for comfort. He will let me pat him and fuss over him and enjoy it.

Pam, did you do sub-Q fluids and steroids weekly for Skye? I have to call the vet and his Friday and give him an update.

Thanks again all for your concern

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I am so very sorry. It's agony knowing your Sheltie is ill and palliative care is all that you can do. Love him every minute.

ghggp likes this.
  10. PamG

PamG Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    We did the fluids twice, when Skye spiked a high fever. The vet discovered the tumor when we carried her in because she was too lethargic the day after she went all out because her boy had come home for school for a long weekend. Even at 14 she could do zoomies with the proper motivation. We thought she had hurt herself. From then on, she was on steroids and an antibiotic(baytril?). To look at her, you wouldn't have known she was so sick. The care we gave her kept her comfortable
    and eating, and happy.

Take care,
    PamG and Snow and Sunny

ghggp likes this.