Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Laddie's cancer spread...

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by ghggp, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks again everyone for your concern for us.

Yesterday Laddie would not eat or drink all day. No breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    He normally gets three meals since he is so thin now.

He had diaharria in the morning and stayed laying on his side in his crate looking miserable. He then threw up twice! I immediately thought he might be having a pancreatic attack and forced a Cercenia pill down and called the vet. I was so worried he was just crashing. My vet agreed and said I could bring him in for a steroid shot to help him start to drink as he was so dehydrated. My fear was I would stress him out too much. He shakes uncontrollably in the car. He is so frightened of the vet when he had to be in ICU for 4 days with his last massive attack. I had steroids in the house for Logan and gave him one.

I could not understand how he crashed so badly and so quickly. I remembered the night before I have him his Heartguard heartworm meds. I wondered if that could have caused the dramatic downturn. I am not going to give it to him again. He does not have that long with me and why overmedicate him.

This morning he was able to stand up and I was able to get his pain meds in a pill pocket! I gave him a 1/2 cup of food and he did manage to eat over half of it. He drank a couple of mouthfuls of water and I praised him! He drank a few more for me. Now he is resting. At least he could stand today! Hope he gains more strength today. I will try to feed him 6 small meals to see if he can keep it down. Cercenia is so helpful to stop the vomiting. It costs a lot but the relief to the animal is fast acting and really helps at times like this.

Thanks again everyone for your heartfelt concerns and prayers for Laddie.

Ann and Cara Sandler like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is so true. The day before all this happened to Laddie, I came outside in the morning to see my Koi pond totally drained of water! No water at all covering my 12 Koi! Some of them weren't moving and a few were gasping! It was horrible! I think a raccoon or squirrel dislodge one of the main filter discharge hoses so all the water drained out! I was practically hysterical trying to grab hoses to get water back into the pond! Some of the fish were so traumatized they were on there sides and not able to swim at all!
    I got two bubblers going to provide more oxygen in the water. I am stunned anything survived! They are alive now so I am grateful for that!
    I was on my way to the store to buy bricks to put under the pump so it would be elevated and this could never happen again... that's when I got in the accident!

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Laddie resting in the sun today. Feeding him six small meals a day. Each serving is only 1/3 cup. At least he is keeping the food down. Steroids are helping to get him to drink...

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so glad he's eating and keeping it down. It's the little moments sometimes that mean so much. How are you doing Gloria? I hope you have someone to help you or at least someone to talk to, I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. Sending you hugs:hugs

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for asking about me! I am doing better.
    Since my car is at the repair shop my sister has been kind enough to take me to the vet, store, etc.
    She lives several blocks away and I provide doggie daycare for her sheltie Jasmine.
    My brother has brought me food and both provide moral support.

Thanks for the hugs! So needed at this time...

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Every day is a special gift.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

It is no nice to hear you are not alone; this is a tough time without people who really understand. Laddie looks content in your picture :)

ghggp likes this.
  8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Thinking of you and Laddie!!!! <3

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is so deceiving to look at him, or any sheltie for that matter. With all that hair they never really look undernourished...
    He is just so thin... but he did enjoy the basking in the sun!

Thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes!

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Glad to hear he is holding up, Gloria, giving you a bit more time together. I can't believe what a perfect storm this has been for you. Really happy that you have family to support you in this emotional time. Thinking of you every day and sending hugs.

ghggp likes this.