Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Laddie's cancer spread...

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by ghggp, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, so Laddie had been getting six small meals a day of 1/3 cup each time.
    There would always be food left in the bowl. He refused his soft food but will eat kibble. For the past couple of days he did not want to eat...
    I was so concerned that I made him rice and boiled chicken. Wow, he cleaned the bowl! Only problem is now his stool is so runny that I put Firm Up the dehydrated pumpkin in it. Not helping at all. He hates pumpkin out of a can!
    I am happy he is eating but I need to get a handle on the loose stool as I am afraid he will get dehydrated.

Any suggestions?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I have tried lots of things for loose stools but the best thing ever was a suggestion from someone on this Forum -- wish I could remember who. It's called Propectalin. All natural, no chemicals, and comes in a gel syringe for fewer uses and worse cases, and chewable pills. I have both but have only ever needed the pills. They work wonderfully well and fast. I get it from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/ProPectalin-...8-1-spons&keywords=propectalin+for+dogs&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-4...06721110&sr=8-2&keywords=propectalin+for+dogs

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks a bunch Ann!

Oddly enough I had the gel in the cuboard for Chance when he was ill. Just gave Laddie some. Hope it works soon!

You would think with all that rice he would not have loose stools!

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gave Laddie the gel last night hoping it would help. I thought about leaving the back door open in case he needed to go out. Forgot!
    BAD mistake!!!!
    He had diaharria all over the kitchen and family room rugs and floor!
    I know he could not help it... but, what a mess to clean up first thing in the morning!
    I put him back on his normal food and he ate it thank goodness! I do have the pills also so I will try that if his stool does not clear up!
    Poor guy, as if he does not have enough to deal with!!!

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sorry to hear that, Gloria. FYI you can give the pills every 8 hours. I've rarely needed to do that but when I have it does put a stop to the runs. I hope it works for poor Laddie! Keep us posted....

ghggp likes this.
  6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Poor guy.....I am thinking about you Gloria and Laddie.

ghggp likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks, Ann...
    Gave it to him every 8 hours and it helped! Thank goodness....

8. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I remember Gavin getting into some Deer poop during a visit to relatives as a puppy..Now that was explosive diarrhea! I felt so bad for the poor little guy, he tried to make it to the basement from the kitchen but ended up leaving a trail on the way down..and a bath was totally needed. I will have to remember these magic pills. I have to admit I use mostly canned pumpkin now, and that only helps so much.

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, I guess I can not call them magic pills yet...
    Stool back to being soft.

He is back on his hard food.
    Gave him 2 limited ingredient biscuits. Don't think that would have caused the tummy upset.

At my wits end...

He is supper chipper today. It is like he is not sick at all! So animated...

Nice to see but wish I could get his tummy stabilized. He just hates pumpkin!

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So glad to hear he was feeling more himself - how is his stool now? Too bad he doesn't like the pumpkin. How is he doing now Gloria? I know all these ups and downs are such an emotional rollercoaster for you.