Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Leptospirosis vaccine

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by ghggp, Sep 3, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am taking Baron to a second Beginner Obedience class in a few weeks and had to get him vaccinated with Bordetella and Canine DHLPPC booster. He already is up to date on the Rabies.

My question is in regards to the Leptospirosis vaccine. They suggested that I get it. I HATE giving multiple vaccinations! I told them NO as I wanted to research since I have never gotten this vaccine for any of my other dogs.

I live in the suburbs and my dogs never are outside my yard unless they go for walks around the neighborhood.

Should I get the shot or not? Any suggestions welcome!

UPDATE: Just did a search and found another post on this subject:
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/lepto-shot.20595/page-3#post-304181

Will read and decide... Just wondering how many on sheltie nation get this vaccine?

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am leaning towards NOT giving it!

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My girls were vaccinated for lepto because I live in south Florida and there are standing bodies of water everywhere. So their risk of getting it is quite high.

4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Our vet offered it, I declined. We're city folks, squirrels and mud puddles is all we see.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Even my vet doesn't recommend the Lepto vaccine for Shelties. It can have very dangerous side effects. It's the one vaccine I would never give.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Just like anything else, it is a risk versus benefit decision. If the risk of your dogs contracting lepto is low that's one thing but if your dogs' risk of getting lepto is extremely high due to geography or some other risk factor then that is something to consider. I travel a lot with my dogs, there are standing bodies of water everywhere, and there are many animals that carry lepto in our area. There is nothing I can do, short of not traveling with them, that will lower their risk of contracting it.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Interesting thread, because my vet just told me last month we've had some outbreak of Lepto here, I know one of the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer had it and boy was she sick. She almost didn't make it. We have a creek just down from our house with standing pools this time of year, and we get wildlife traipsing through our backyard, like racoons, opossums and skunks, so we are in the midst of vaccinating. I confess I didn't do a deep dive into this - my vet said the vaccine is reformulated and much better than when it was in the puppy shots. Brooke had her shot and 3 weeks later the booster, and no ill effects. Faith gets her booster in 3 weeks. So that's my experience.