My wife has decided we need another sheltie asap and has contacted a breeder who happened to have a puppy she liked. Right now, we're due to pick up the pup later this week. I didn't know any of this until last night, and.... I have a concern. On the one hand, I desperately want another sheltie. On the other, I have some misgivings due to a medical situation. Long story why, but I had a shunt put in my head when I was 2 years old. I'm now 49. Shunt is connected to a length of tubing which empties into my side. I've had the shunt replaced a few times over the years (which is basically brain surgery), but had very few problems otherwise. Until six months ago. Six months ago, I started experiencing discomfort in my side, which was eventually diagnosed as the shunt tube rubbing my side and irritating scar tissue. Due to various complications, no one has had a solution for me yet. I'm concerned that we're going to adopt a puppy and my health is going to go south and I won't be up to all the walkings and what-not. I'm not disabled. I still work around the house and follow my normal routine, etc. I don't generally have to put things off because I don't feel up to it. Actually, I felt only very mild discomfort for the past month or two until I went for a short run a few days ago and the pain flared back up. But this situation looks like it might put an end to my active hobbies: running, rock climbing, hiking, etc. I'm kinda concerned I'm not going to be able to walk a dog three or four times a day without irritating my issue. My wife thinks all of these issues are doable. There are other people in the house to walk a dog if I'm not up to it. We have a fenced-in yard. I'm going to be able to walk and play with the puppy now, and no one's sure what will happen in the future, etc. Basically, she thinks we can make it work and that I'm going to need a dog to replace Fasb if I have to give up my hobbies. She doesn't think the dog will end up wanting for anything because of my health. I want to agree, but I don't want to be selfish about it. I don't want to stick her with another dog she might not want if something does happen to me. Nor do I want to take on a dog unless it seems reasonable we can raise him for a decade. I do already have an idea of what would happen if we couldn't take care of him. He'd still have a good home, no shelter or stray for him. Shrug. I'm an accountant. I tend to plan ahead and not leave stuff to chance. What does the board think? Would it be selfish to take a puppy and try to make it work? Would it be ok to maybe try to teach him to do his business closer to home or in the yard, for the times I'm not up to a half hour walk? I think I'm going to be up to it, but I want to make sure I can give him a good life. I don't feel like it would be fair to make him compromise because of my health. Basically, I want to spoil the dog. FWIW, I'm more bothered by the idea of not owning another dog than I am by the idea of giving up my daily workout. It's kinda crushing to think I may never own another dog.