Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Looking for opinions before we adopt another sheltie....

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    First off, I am so sorry you're having issues with your shunt. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the medicos can come up with a fix so you can continue your active life.

Generally speaking, life with a dog is better for one's health than life without. I genuinely understand your concerns -- DH and I waited 25 years to get a dog because our military life (we were both Air Force) might mean deploying at the same time. But with a fenced in yard, coupled with your own need to walk to some degree for your own health and sanity, I'd say you'll do well. Shelties are very adaptable!

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to agree with most of the responses... A pup might be the best thing for you...

I see a gentleman around the neighbourhood that owns a scooter. He cannot walk his little Pomeranian. It either trots alongside him or jumps in his lap. He has a pillow there and the little dog is just pleased to be with his master.

So sweet to see... My point being, both benefit!

3. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Well, after thinking about it, we/I decided to hold off on adopting a puppy until I get a better handle on where my health is going. Breeder was very understanding once I explained the issue. In the meantime, we're going to be foster parents. About a year ago, we got involved with an animal rescue in the area that takes in rescue dogs & cats and places them in foster homes until they're adopted. I had no idea animal shelters did that. Anyway, I really like the group, so I volunteered us to be a foster family until I get a better handle on what I'm going to be able to do or not do. We're picking up our first foster later today.

I still want a sheltie. Preferably a puppy. I'm hoping that, six months down the road, I have a better handle on the health stuff, or that it resolves itself somehow.

BTW, we do have a dog. More or less. Isabelle is tiny, so I'm not really sure she's what I think of as a dog. She's some sort of Pom mix, we think, but she's basically my wife's dog and doesn't pay me much mind.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good luck with your fostering! Most of my Shelties were rescues and I never regretted any of them!

I would be a foster fail for sure!

Wishing you luck on your health and new foster! Keep us posted!

5. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Bailey's foster Mom was amazing. My husband had never had a dog and his first was a house broken puppy thanks to an amazing foster Mom who took in Bailey through Sheltie Rescue after a family brought him home with a new baby and couldn't handle two babies at once. Foster work is an amazing gift to those of us who have adopted from rescue. The social, emotional, and health benefits to dogs who have been abandoned are just so important. There is so much more information available to those placing and those wanting to adopt when dogs are fostered because you they are observed in a more "normal" living environment rather than traditional rescues where dogs spend more time in runs and cages. Shelties do so much better in foster care. As sensitive dogs abandonment is always hard, but foster really can make a difference in the transition.

Not sure if you know about them but there is a Sheltie Rescue in West Virginia and it sounds like they use a foster network like they do in this area.

http://www.sheltierescue-nwal.org/

I don't know anything about them, but it is a way to stay connected with Shelties until you can determine what your health will allow.

I've had long term health issues so I can understand the questions. We have a fenced in yard and that has made a huge difference because on bad days the dogs can get out, run, and take care of their needs if we can't walk them.

6. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    There's a shetlie rescue in Western Pennsylvania, about 100 miles away, that I've talked to. Not familiar with the WV branch linked in your post and it doesn't appear they advertise on Petfinder. I sent them an email, but.... the webpage with profiles of the dogs available for adoption hasn't been updated in three years.

Too in a seven-year-old Pomerian mix last week. So far it's going ok.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Why do I get the feeling you're going to be a "foster failure?" :lol:

8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Glad to here the fostering is working.

They give a pretty good start if you are looking for Sheltie Rescues. I've not had much luck with petfinder in my area, but I know the Sheltie resuces I've contacted to adopt have been looking for fosters. As for websites the addresses do change and it looks like they'

http://www.nationalsheltierescue.org/RosterByState.php

9. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Thanks for the link.

BTW, for anyone wondering, NWAL Herding Dog Rescue did return my email. She doesn't use the website anymore, for whatever reason, but the contact information is still good. She said she leaves the website up mainly for people to submit adoption applications online.