Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Low Protein Levels

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by kstraub73, May 16, 2017.

1. kstraub73

kstraub73 Forums Regular

Jun 7, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Hi everyone!

Has anyone dealt with low protein levels in their sheltie? Ours went in for their normal dentals late last year, and while doing the normal pre-procedure bloodwork, our girl's came back with low protein levels. We did another test when she wasn't fasting and got the same result. She's also having problems with frequent potty issues, but her urinalysis isn't showing anything. In depth kidney scan (SDMA) also showed slightly elevated levels. Nothing has come back very conclusive on anything, so our vet thinks it's being caused by her intestines somewhere and wants to start her on a prednisone treatment to see if it improves. She also threw out doing an intestinal scope or a biopsy, but worries about the recovery of doing the biopsy, and the scope not being able to look everywhere (and putting her under anesthesia).

She has had digestive issues for a while now, and we have her on Hill's Science i/d Gastro food - since then she hasn't has as much of a problem, but we do get an occasional vomiting.

My vet is just concerned about her protein levels staying low for too long and starting to cause more serious problems like retaining water in her lungs, which is why she would like to get her on a prednisone treatment sooner than later to see if we see improvement. Before we do that, she wants to do another urinalysis to compare the protein to creatinine ratio (we did that in December and it checked out okay).

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this.... a little worried about our girl.

Thanks!
    Kerri

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I encourage you to get her gallbladder scanned. Shelties are prone to a disease to gallbladder mucocele and there was a very recent statement issued by ASSA which recommends getting Sheltie's gallbladders scanned https://americanshetlandsheepdogassociation.org/gallbladder-mucolceles-2/. There was a recent thread on this on the forum http://sheltieforums.com/threads/sheltie-health-alert.25957/#post-365909. Protein does play a part in gallbladder function, so there could be some link.

I had both my dogs scanned and was surprised to find my female had gallbladder sludge, as she was asymptomatic.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Caro!
    Great information!!!

5. kstraub73

kstraub73 Forums Regular

Jun 7, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks to both of you! I will definitely ask my vet about a gallbladder scan as we haven't done anything with that. I did read that low protein can lead to gallbladder stones. We just started her on prednisone this morning as well... It's so hard not knowing what's going on with these little kiddos... she really acts normal otherwise other than having to go potty more than normal and having some accidents in the house. But diet is spot on and everything else.

Anyway, thanks again - I will definitely look into all these!
    Kerri