Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mango's getting Fixed

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JacqueZ, Jun 12, 2017.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Mango's at the vets getting fixed, and she hates cages and she hates being around dogs that are bigger then her, and she hates being away from me, and this is pretty much the worst day of her life and I'm so worried about her.

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    poor, poor Mango - and you too.

yes I remember that day I had such a bad conscience towards Minnie
    - I picked her 1½ hours after the operation
    - terrible experience, but then we were at least together :hugs

But then it went fast - so I hope the same for Mango :fl

3. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks, we went to the same place for Honey and they did a great job... they said general pickup is at 4:30, but they'd call me if she was done early, we were the first in, so hopefully...

4. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Poor Mango! But it'll go quickly, and she'll be home with you before she knows it.

5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    We were nervous wrecks, but it did not slow Zulu down a bit. We had a hard time keeping him quiet the first few days.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    good luck to you. Mango probably won't need it - other than the scary part before the surgery when he gets left behind at the vet, he'll be back to his old self in no time.

7. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Mango is home and seemed little the worse for wear from it. She couldn't leap onto furniture like normal, so we chilled on the floor most of the night (I am to old to sit on floors these days...ah the 20's when any seat was a perfectly fine one) She didn't want to eat her food last night, this morning she was also hesitant, but a spoonful of chicken broth changed that quickly. I have pain killers for her for the next few days, she seems like she'll need them.

Honey when we got her fixed spent the first 8 hours a shaking trembling mess, Mango was luckily not that out of it, but she does seem to be feeling it more. The day after it was all I could do to keep Honey calm, mango is perfectly happy laying next to me.

I rescheduled my photo shoots today, so Mango and I have a long day of bed cuddling planned.

corbinam likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Poor Mango, I'm sure she's feeling better with all the cuddles she's getting from you. The good thing is dogs heal amazingly fast! In a week she'll be back to her old self like nothing happened.

JacqueZ likes this.
  9. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Mango is doing much better, you'd never know she still has stitches. Thank you to everyone for the support while I worried!

Now to hopefully see some positive influences from getting her fixed. We scheduled the appointment in a hurry because she was starting to show possessiveness over the bed and whining anytime she needed to go past Honey to get something (even though Honey was just laying on the floor sleeping and paying her no mind) That's already calmed down, possibly because we were very quick to watch and stop the behavior before she could engage after the first time. (I got a nasty bruise that almost caused problems with her getting into her appointment, nobody told me when I scheduled that them having bit someone within the past 10 days would be an issue...I explained that she didn't attempt to bite me and it was just me getting my arm in between her and where she was lunging at Honey and also that there was no broken skin and they passed her)

I'm also hoping we'll make a little more progress with her when passing other dogs on the trails now. Any that are bigger then her can invoke barking; if I keep her leash short and her behind me and let Honey greet the other dog she's calmer and can be let looser to peer around me and sniff...We had a big gentle golden retriever named Atlas move into the house behind us, so she's getting more exposure through fences...which should also help I hope.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  10. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    And now both dogs are sneezing, and Mango is getting severe 2 minute long reverse sneezing fits. And they get worse outside, and so it's most likely allergies, but...because she was at the kennel getting fixed last week I'm afraid to take the chance and off to the vet they both go...