Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Martingale quandary!

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Stella, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Stella

Stella Forums Novice

Feb 28, 2017
    Central Texas
    I'm looking for the perfect martingale, no reason to break the bank but I do prefer good quality.
    We currently have a rolled leather one, and a braided kangaroo one - but there is a problem: the soft, mat-prone hair behind the ears tangles in the chain part.
    Would a martingale with the "slip" part made of leather instead of chain be better?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I found the same thing with the chain part of Deska's martingale. Some dogs just seem to be prone to matting - Tully never gets matts behind the ears, but Deska always does.

I've now got Red Dingo martingales from Amazon.com. They are all material and don't seem to matt as much, so I've gone down from removing matts from behind Deska's ears every couple of days to fortnightly, and the matts are much smaller. The nice thing too is I can get the collar in the 'in-between' size that Deska seems to be, and with a thinner width than I was able to get before. Ironically, I can't get the Red Dingo martingales in Australia so I've got to get them from the US. Obviously not as fancy as the leather ones, but I do find the material ones Deska is less likely to slip out of.

Stella likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Forums Novice

Feb 28, 2017
    Central Texas
    Thank you! Just had a look...I see that you can adjust the size, does that part stay where you put it? I've had problems with adjustable nylon collars in the past. My dog is young and high energy, he still pulls sometimes! I don't want him loosening the collar if this happens.