Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Martingale vs slip lead collar for training

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Pam, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I am so confused by all the gear. My previous sheltie and my GSD just had simple leather collars and a leash but Beau, well Beau is Beau. I have been using a Perfect Fit harness on him for walking and it has worked really well (the Easy Walker made him more reactive, the Lupine No-Pull was ok but I didn't like his neck position). For training I have been using a regular collar with leash but occasionally he pulls and it worries me. I think with that collar he is used to the feel of the pull, which is why he does great with the harness--I never let it get to that and he walks very well 98% of the time. Also, I tend to keep the regular collar on him just to carry tags.

I guess I just don't know the use of the various items.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    For Piper I've used (since he was about 8 months) a martingale collar. He's always had issues with forging and being able to give a correction has helped with this type of collar. I also like the ease at which I can put it on/remove it plus I don't worry about him being able to slip out of it when on a walk.
    The martingale type I use is the fabric/chain type,