Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Micro chip question.

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Wyosheltie, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Wyosheltie

Wyosheltie Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2009
    Wyoming
    I am told that Spice has been micro chipped. How would I go about getting the information changed from her breeder to us?
    I don't want anything to happen and her be though of being lost from SO. CA.

Tim

2. jdo1217

jdo1217 Forums Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    Avondale, AZ
    The breeder should provide you with the microchip manufacturer and serial number so you can update the account.

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Exactly what jdo1217 said, you'll need to contact your breeder and get the microchip information from them. You need to know the manufacturer (some examples are AVID, Home Again, AKC Reunites) and the chip number.

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Once you get the chip number you can update all of the information online with the company that provided that chip. Also if you don't want to stay with that company you can always register with other sites. They will have a yearly registration fee or you can sign up for lifetime protection which is a one time fee. Cleo and my cat Kiba are registered with Petkey and Cleo is also registered with AKC reunites (I think this was done when filling out her AKC paperwork, but I don' t remember). I'm not sure it was necessary to have Cleo with both, but for me, I find it better to be safe than sorry. :)

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Definitely contact the breeder. You want that info current! You can also take her to the vet to get scanned. If you get the number, you can enter it here- http://www.petmicrochiplookup.org/ to find out what company it's registered with. You might be able to call them and have an account created with your information.

6. Wyosheltie

Wyosheltie Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2009
    Wyoming
    Thanks Jess, It seems like the breeder has severed all ties with Spice. see my post in behavior. I have emailed several times with no response. But I do have her number so a call may be needed.
    Thanks All,
    Tim

7. Dodgers mum

Dodgers mum Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2017
    Either that or could a vet scan her and tell u?

8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Pretty sure the vet can. They would scan it, the number would show up, and they would enter that number in their computer. I would think it would tell you the chip manufacturer, and if it has been registered.

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Also if she is really chipped. Seems likely that the breeder might be padding the truth given no communication and no chip info at pickup. Of course I do not know how long you have tried to contact etc. so there are lots of other explanations possible.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I know here in Canada I had to contact the CKC as the breeder registered the chip with them. Some breeders don't register with a company as there is a fee for that (although you can register it with them). I then had to provide the CKC with my info to confirm and they changed the address from the breeder to mine. Perhaps she registered it with the AKC similar to how they do it here.