Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Muscle Conditioning

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I've seen a few people post pictures of FitPaws balance bones and such...
    Wondering if Gavin would benefit.
    I am super paranoid anytime he limps or his gait changes (due to his cancer, radiation, and surgeries)
    and he runs funny now (his leg kinda swings out).

Opinions on this kind of training?

Thanks

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I've used it for rehab for my dogs before, as well as to build core strength. I know some people use it regularly (I probably should! There just aren't enough hours in the day!), so I'd highly recommend it!

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    You could try to schedule an appointment with a canine physical therapist to determine what would be appropriate for him.

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I honestly think I am being paranoid. He doesn't limp or have any weaknesses. But I would feel better doing something at home periodically. I know how silly this is, but after going through so much with him and his cancer, I am a sap.

5. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    My sheltie loves his FitPaws equipment. I got it because he keeps ending up at the chiropractor. I've been told that while shelties' flexibility makes them very agile, it also makes them prone to subluxation. We started with the FitBone in December and a disk in January. Within a month I noticed improved muscle tone and he was able to go 4 weeks between chiro appointments instead of 3 weeks. He is still loving the equipment and I added a couple peanuts and an egg to the mix for his birthday and Easter. I feed him his kibble for rewards so that he doesn't gain weight. He last went almost 5 weeks between appointments so there does seem to be an improvement.