Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My puppy is home...joy and struggling

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Lexi, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    So I have my little sheltie girl home for 2 days. She is a really affectionate puppy, I didn't expect that and it's really nice to get so many kises:hugs. She doesn't like to be held or on in my lap, but she likes to be petted.
    So my problem is that she doesn't like treats, no matter what I try she doesn't even smell them. My other dog was really food motivated and he was pretty easy to teach some tricks, grooming. But with her I struggle, because I can't reward good behavior. She absolutely hates grooming, she tries to jump of the table and cries and whines and bites my hand. And again I can't reward calm behavior..
    I find it hard to connect with her because I'm interesting to her only when we play. Otherwise she follows my other dog around and mostly copies his behavior..
    Any suggestion what should I do?:((

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    My boy Enzo wasn't particularly food motivated when I brought him home, either. I would take a cookie outside and when he pottied I would offer it to him--I knew we would have to work on it when he preferred playing with the cookie vs. eating it!

I would recommend hand feeding your puppy her meals. Start with just hand feeding. If she doesn't want it, take it away and she doesn't eat (sounds cruel but they won't starve themselves!) Then, you can start working on teaching with the food. Again, if she doesn't want to "work" for the cookie (it can be easy stuff! Like a hand touch, or get into your crate, etc.) then everything ends including the food. It only took Enzo a few weeks, and now he loves food! He does prefer a toy, but he will work for food.

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I used minute bits of cheese or chicken as rewards. I mean like 1/4 inch squares. With some dogs you have to go to higher value.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think you need to be patient with her until she bonds with you. I think right now your other dog is much more interesting than you are but if you continue to play with her (find a favourite toy and only let her play with it with you, never with the other dog) you will be able to start to bond with her. Once she's had all her shots then you can start taking her for walks (alone, without the other dog) and this will help you bond further with her. Don't worry now that she doesn't want to lay on your lap or just be with you, that will come in time. Just enjoy her being a puppy, they grow up so fast!

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    A couple of days and she is still settling in. The food thing might change is a week or two. Though maybe not. Sca was SUPER food motivated while Spitfire it was more survival as you leave food and Sca had it gone in a second so he would always eat when he could LOL

6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion has never kissed my face and still isn't interested in laying in my lap. Koko will lay in my arms (like you hold a baby) for hours if you let him. She may be like Fillion. Enjoy that puppy!

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Hollie was not food motivated either. Her reward was playing with a favorite toy. Hollie also loved to sit or lay with us.

Shelby is the complete opposite. Very food motivated. Will do anything for anything edible. Shelby also rarely will sit with us let alone on our laps. If she is snuggling up to us you know something is wrong. But she is very bonded to us and must always be where we are just not into the lovey/dovey snuggling type of affection.

I guess my point is they all have different personalities and different likes and dislikes just as we all do.

8. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon sits or sleeps next to us, but not in our laps. The only time he is in my lap is if there's something really scary going on. When he was a puppy, "really scary" was a bigger puppy at puppy playtime that wanted to body slam him. Now that he's a grown-up almost 3 year old, "really scary" is a man with a machine in the back yard. Note that "man with machine" includes someone mowing the yard or blowing leaves.

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi
    When I got Minnie, I thought she would lie on my lap and cuddle - after 30 y with German Shepherd dogs :lol:

Like many others also say:
    -very bonded to me and always know where I are
    -laying on my lab for 1-5 min (if I lift her up) - sit on lap is ok - so I can not see anything :wink2:
    -If she is snuggling up to me and will remain i know something really hurts

Minnie now 3 y -has become a wonderful lovely obedient and confident (which fits me well) little dog
    She is rarely really afraid of something, but always with a natural skepticism.

If it gets too much, I ask, "should mom take you?" then she decides herself - If I have to take her up on my arm or not :biggrin2:

Remember, a Sheltie has a very sensitive mind - and a brush can be a dangerous thing, so remember to go slowly with all the things she's going to learn - that way she will lean to trust you. :hugs

I know you've read it before :wink2: but I read it myself several times when Minnie was small
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You should have a look at the 'do as I do' training method. I wish it had been around when Tully was younger, she wasn't interested in learning through rewards, but she is a fantastic mimic. The approach uses mimicking to train - you show the dog what you want them to do. I spent years trying to teach Tully to do tricks (sitting still was not her thing), then she came to dancing with dogs classes, watched Deska doing his tricks and came out of the crate doing the tricks. She learnt flyball from watching classes, and she also learnt to meow from the cats. It's amazing having a dog that mimics, and when you harness that you get so much more out of them. You may find your girl is the same and she will also learn a lot from your other dog.

With the grooming, have her watch you groom your other dog, and do little grooms of her in between grooming him.

ghggp likes this.