Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My puppy is home...joy and struggling

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Lexi, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Thanks to all your kind and helpful replies:hugs. I will try them all and see what works:smile2:
    Today we made some progress..in the morning before her brekfast I tried with the hot dog treats again and she liked them today so we made some sits, down, left and right circle, recalls. I hope she is going to be every day more willing to do tricks:yes:. In the afternoon I will try to groom her. My other dog likes to get groomed very much so I will try first him than her.
    Caro I didn't know that 'do as I do' is a real technique to teach. Now that I think Lexi learned to touch things and knocked them down like this. I knocked a small pot down and he went and did it like me:yes:.

Today she is 10 weeks old. I tried to measure her and I think she is 24 or 25 cm high. The weight is a problem because this pup can't be still for 2 seconds:winkgrin:.
    House training is not so bad as long as I watch her like a hawk. We have some problems with frequent going out at night, so I get no sleep. She goes out to pee and poo at 5am(she hears my brother going to work at that time and starts whining), but when she is done she wants to play.. I put her imediately back to sleep in her crate. Than she begins to whine and scratch but eventually settles down for two more hours. Our home is more of a noise house so she can hear my moms geting out at 6am and she starts to whine again but I ignore her this time. My first dog tried to wake up and go to play every day at 6.am when he was young, but thats too early for me so he learned we go out when I say so. But he never had to hold it more that 8h.. I plan to teach her this too but for now I'm not sure how long can she hold it.. I know Shelties are smart and I must watch out she doesn't train me:hide.
    She is a very active girl so I must put her to sleep otherwise she can go for hours and she gets really cranky when she is tired.

2. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Oh I forgot to comment about the cuddling thing. I don't mind she doesn't want to be in my lap, my other dog is a perfect lap dog. He loves me very much but he just isn't so demostrative, he just squeezes next to me and goes in my lap. She on the other hand waggles her tail like crazy and lickes my whole face, so this to me shows she is very affectionate too:hugs

3. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    This! Yes! Rocket doesn't get cranky when he's tired. But good golly, he turns into the worlds biggest brat! He's taller now and has learned how to stand on his hind legs. So now, he's grabbing things off of tables and shelves. Nothing is safe. And he'll do it right in front of us.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    About weight - I weight both of us at the same time and myself either before or after (same shock)
    -then you have the exact weight of the puppy

As most of you know :biggrin2: I have never used a cage inside :no: just in the car.

I always have the puppy in my bed at night (as with their siblings) and when the puppy starts moving, we go outside, pee, pee and after that it's fast in bed again until 6-7.

5. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I like the crate because I'm planning to use it at agility trail, or when I go to agility trainig with my first dog, the puppy can stay in the crate meanwhile.. Than we change and she goes to puppy class, well thats the plan.. She is better now, today we had 20s of protesting than she settled for sleep:smile2:.
    If I put her on the bed she jumpes right off the bed and I'm afraid she can hurt herself:uhoh:
    She will be 12 weeks old in three days already. I measured her when she had 11 weeks and she was 25,5cm high and weight was 2,6kg.

6. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    How old is Rocket now? And how big is he?

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Rocket is seven months now. He's a little better. But he still turns into a whirlwind of destruction if he's tired! He's about 16 inches at the shoulder. He probably won't get any taller, he'll just fill out some. He managed to get a small tear into a floor pillow Monday. And he managed to get a fairly decent sized pile of stuffing pulled out before anyone caught him. And it made him the happiest puppy in the whole wide world. :ROFLMAO:

RikyR, Lexi and SheepOfBlue like this.
  8. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Well you never have a borring day with these Shelties. :biggrin2:

9. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    My little Sheltie girl was already 14 weeks old yesterday:eek2:. She is growing very fast! Now she is 28,5 cm high, I hope she stays in the standard size. What can I say, she really is something special:hugs. She is a happy, fast, crazy puppy. That loves everyone and loves belly rubs. She likes to play a lot, we started doing tricks with the clicker. She knows: sit, down, roll over, come, give paw, wave with paw, turn left and right, touch hand with nose:smile2:.
    I have to update her album so you can see what she looks like now:yes:

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi, good to read you've got a real Sheltie puppy :lol::lol:
    Yes, please update her album -we absolutely need to see some pic :yes:

Lexi I completely forgot her name :confused2: