Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nails, nails, nails

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by k9kreationz, Sep 29, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Well, here we go with the nails again.

I'm not great at keeping them trimmed, so don't yell at me yet. I just bought a house with hardwood floors so, omg, the upkeep of nails and paw fur is constant. like, every 3-4 days constant. I'm trying to get them cut back more, but y'know, gotta wait for the quick to recede.

Is this normal? I mean, this upkeep? I've never had hardwood, and always walked the dogs on concrete, so that wore it down. Now that we have a yard, play with them outside, there's less walks. And with the rain finally coming, that'll be 9 months of no walks really.

The only other time I had to do this type of upkeep was when I did agility, indoors, on rubber floors with Koji. Nails and paw fur were cut twice a week. Even Miko's nails didn't grow that fast. But dang, between Koji and Vogue, I'll be at this 2, maybe 3x a week. Yikes!

Thoughts? Advice?

ghggp likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I find the nails grow faster on my younger dogs than my seniors. Paw fur seems to sprout like dandelions in spring. Of course by the time they're seniors, trimming their nails is a snap. The young ones, not so much! :wacky: We have rugs and hardwood floors and don't walk much on concrete either...more grass and ground. I trim nails every other week and if I were on top of it, they'd be done every week. It's not just you!

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I feel for you!

Now that Baron is in obedience classes and we are in a school gym without rubber mats, I am constantly trimming his nails and cutting the hair in between his pads! :confused:

Loved the 'paw fur' analogy Ann!:ROFLMAO:

At least I can walk him on the sidewalks for training!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Definitely feel the pain. I am constantly trimming nails and fur between the pads. She's losing fur everywhere else, but paw fur grows out of control. She gets walks on cement twice a day. I rarely have to trim rear nails, but front nails need a trimming about once a month.

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Define young ones cuz my gawd, Vogue's fur grows like....worse than dandelions. I thought Koji's had slowed down, but now that I hear him on the floor, ugh, it hasn't really, I've just been slacking. Carpet hides a lot....like tumblefurs. lol.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Nah, I think it's normal. I trim toenails once a week (if I'm being good) and even then it can drive me crazy. Enzo's foot and ear hair also grows like weeds, so I feel like I'm constantly behind. I'll usually end up looking at a picture I took and going "oops! Guess it's time for a trim!"

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I do Pipers nails weekly but really I could do them twice a week they grow so fast and his paw fur...geez, I think I trim it at least every two weeks! I also have hardwood and OMG the dog hair! I moved a year ago from an entire carpeted house and if I don't sweep daily you'd think I never swept in a month ( at least to those non sheltie owners :ROFLMAO:)! Awhile back I was visiting Pipers breeder and her neighbors son was over and he said 'gee, you've got a lot of dog hair under the couch'...I had to laugh but with at least 8 shelties that was probably one day of not vacuuming:lol:

ghggp likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    OK young is relative but in mine I find nail growth slows down somewhat after 7. That's years, LOL. The paw fur never stops though...it seems the more I trim, the faster it grows! :confused:

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I wish those nails and feet fur would stop growing so quickly. I just trimmed Shelby's feet today. OMG, I do not know where all that fur came from, I swear I could have braided it And her nails, I can't even keep up with how quickly they grow.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    OMG! So glad it's not just me. I just swiffered again and damn, the dog hair. Makes me want carpet so I don't have to see this. I told bf we need to Roomba that won't die due to choking on dog fur. LOL. Man those Shelties shed....I just never realized how much.

Piper's mom likes this.