Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

National Pet Memorial Day

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    FYI: Today (the second Sunday in September) is National Pet Memorial Day. Given the name, I assume this is a US observance, not a world holiday.

It's been close to two years since Fasb passed. I've been thinking of him a lot this weekend. Still very sad, even though I know a short, sudden illness was better in the end than a protracted, slow decline. He was fairly healthy, seemed happy, and was very active until the week before he died. It would have been difficult for us to watch him go into a gradual, severe decline and have to grapple every day with the question of whether or not it was time to let him go. I wish he had lasted another year or three, but, realistically, the other health concerns would have probably caught up with him eventually even if the kidneys hadn't failed.

Still, we miss him. We've taken in a couple more dogs but haven't come close to replacing him.

ghggp likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, the little fur's friends give us so much and always want a place in our hearts and it can hurt so much to think about them.

A little girl who has lost her fur friend
    - "mom why does it hurt so much inside me when I think of (name)?"
    - Mom: "It's because (name) wiggles the little tail for you"

A new fur kit can / should not substitute our previous dogs - it will be quite impossible.

But they can really give us so much joy and love and we can give the same back.

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for alerting us to the National Pet Memorial Day!
    Had no idea it existed!

So sad to remember that Fasb passed. My heart goes out to you and for all the pet owners who were blessed to have these wonderful souls share our life.

Healing prayers today to all who have loved those special souls. May we be united one day!

As Will Rogers famously said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Hanne likes this.