Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Needing your thoughts and prayers for my senior baby

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Tabitha, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Hello everyone, most of you don't know me, I haven't been active in a few years. But to those of you who do, you may also remember my sweet baby boy, F-kap. He's not doing very well in his old age and he needs all the love and prayers he can get. He's been going through advanced stages of dog dementia and his arthritis seems to be getting worse every day. He's under heavy medication for the dementia and a sleep aid and I will be picking up some Galliprant pain medication for him tomorrow (or I guess I should say today since it's after 2am).

There have been several times that I feel like I should say goodbye to him. But I just can't bring myself to do it. He's been by my side for 14 years and I'm only 20, that's almost all my life. But I think if this doesn't work I'll have to find the courage to let him go. I can't stand to see him suffering like this, but I just don't know how I'll be able to do this... A couple nights ago he was asleep on the living room floor, I tried to wake him to take him to bed but he wouldn't get up no matter how hard I shook him. I was having a full blown panic attack and holding him in my arms, crying his name by the time he finally woke up. Then today, for the first time in 14 years, he didn't greet me when I came home. He just laid their on the floor without moving then fell asleep. I had to carry him to bed. :'(

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi Tabitha. Of course we remember and love F-Kap. I am so, so sad to hear he is doing badly. I can only imagine you must be beside yourself, no wonder you're up at 2am. This has to be the hardest part of opening your heart to a dog, watching them get old and frail.

I'll be thinking of you and F-Kap, big cyber-hugs.:hugs:cry:

Tabitha likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh dear Tabitha, I know exactly what you are experiencing! I lost my dear Mr Chance in November at 14 from similar circumstances. I struggled with the same delema of when the right time to say good bye. For me, it was when stopped eating.
    My other concern was he was being over medicated. Once I cut out the sleep aid he got a bit better. It was a tough call as he was almost comatose as you described on to many meds. I rather he was a bit more alert so I cut back. Also, I believe he was getting deaf in his last year that caused him not to respond.
    My heart goes out to you! The love you have is so great and so deep it is impossible to contemplate your life without your precious F-Kap. Nothing hurts worse than the loss of your heart dog.
    My prayers to you both.
    Virtual hugs.:hugs

Please keep us posted.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Tabitha likes this.
  4. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Well he's just as bad this morning as he was last night. I was hoping getting some sleep would help him but it didn't. Last night when he didn't greet me when I got home wasn't because he didn't want to get up, he couldn't. I just spent 15 minutes trying to help him stand and he just kept falling. What little steps he did take were very stiff and wobbly. I don't know if I should take him to the vet or just pick up the pain meds. He needs to go but car rides are just so hard on him now.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Tabitha, I'm so sorry to hear about F-cap. There is no good way to know when it's time to say goodbye to these precious pups, you have to trust your instincts and what he is telling you about his quality of life. The rule of thumb I've been given is to make a mental list of the five top things your dog loves to do. When he can't do any of them any more, it's time. I had to make this decision for my Pixie in August as she struggled with a brain tumor. It's horrible and one of the most difficult things you will ever encounter but when it's time, you do it out of love for your dog. Sending you big hugs.

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Tabitha, I swear hearing you speak about what is happening to you makes me relive the end stages of my beloved Chance!
    I understood he was too frail to be moved.
    My vet recommended a service for Hospice care for pets called Lap of Love. Please check if they have one in your area as they come to your home to diagnose and perform euthanasia if it comes to that.
    I know your heart is shattered now seeing him like this and you are powerless to help.
    I wish I could make it better for you. Hugs...

7. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Well I just got back from the vet. I decided to take him with me to make sure he was ok. They ran some blood work and that came out fairly normal for his age. But they were very concerned about his mobility. They've put him on a brand new pain reliever that has just recently become available to the public called Galliprant. She said it should start working within 12 to 24 hours. If it doesn't start working in 48... then possibly nothing will.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    We are hoping and praying for the best result!

9. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    T
    Thank you so much <3

10. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Crying at work as I am reading about your struggle. I hope the new meds help!