Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Dog Advice?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    We're still mourning Fasb, but the family agrees we're dog people and will be ready for a new dog (or dogs) fairly soon. Wife and I have no experience as pet owners. Fasb was our first dog, and he just sort of fell into our lap. We weren't really around pets as kids. Basically, we have no experience picking out a breed we think we'd like.

We don't want a sheltie, but we want a dog similar to a shelite. That is, Fasb is irreplaceable. We don't feel like we want a dog that looks like Fasb. On the other hand, Fasb had most of the traits we want in a dog. Fasb was almost always very good-natured, was extremely friendly, followed us around the house most of the time, was very affectionate, etc. He was also very vocal and very hyper. We're looking for dogs with similar disposition, breeds that will be good companion dogs.

We're also looking for an indoor dog about the same size as a sheltie. As a practical matter, shelties are a good size for indoor dogs. Too much larger and you're starting to get into outdoor breeds. I have no interest in owning an "outdoor" dog. Wife and I don't like the little tiny fu-fu looking dogs, so any toy/tiny breed is out. We're probably interested in an breed that goes between 15 and 40 pounds appox.

We want to do some research and ask opinions before we pick out an animal. We're not even sure if we're looking for a purebred, a puppy, a rescue, etc. I want to do some research, but, really, I expect it will probably be a case of us stumbling across a dog and knowing that's the right one for us. If we'd done research into the kind of house dog we wanted before we took in Fasb, we probably would have decided a sheltie wasn't ideal for us (too hyper).

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I know you said you don't want a sheltie--but it sounds like you do, you just don't want to end up comparing the new pup to Fasb, which totally makes sense!

What about a non-sable sheltie? That might get you the breed characteristics you want, but in a package that looks different enough that you won't be too sad or be constantly comparing.

Just a thought--I know that everyone mourns differently. I've always said that I don't think I could ever have another girl sheltie because my girl is my heart.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Hmmm read your post and you want a Sheltie that is not Fasb2 because you realize there is no such thing.

So I am going to recommend ..... a Sheltie :biggrin2: bear with me here.

I had a little white dog that was a psycho (truly) and he was the best (RIP Dow). I waited a year as I did not want a replacement (mistake) and felt it might be unfair to get a dog that lived in his shadow (mistake2).

Once the time came I decided I wanted another little high energy dog and also looked at BCs. Settling on a Sheltie I got Sca... the worlds most laid back Sheltie :lol: He is also oversize which was not part of my plan (Dow was Spitfire size or less) However he does play and is a flyball fiend so not a couch potato. He is also a super nice and well behaved guy. I would not trade him for anything despite him not really being the Dow clone I desired. Time for a buddy for him so I started the search and after a couple of false starts got Spitfire. Well he EARNED his name as that was not what I had picked out as a name. He is flaky and a little @#$# at times yet is also lovey and a cuddler. Kind of the anti-Sca. However again you mess with him and :mad:

So my point is Fasb met all your desires and I am betting so would another Sheltie, yet in a non-Fasb way. If you want get another color like a merle or tri. I am betting the little guy would be destroying stuff and winning your heart in a few hours :hugs Oh and we expect pics.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    The first thing that comes to my mind is an American Eskimo (Eskie). However, as I was reading your post, I had the same thought as Ashley. I can understand why you wouldn't want another sable Sheltie but Shelties come in a a rainbow of colors. A tri, bi-black, or blue (blue merle or bi-) would give you the personality and temperament you want without looking like Fasb. Quite honestly, the AOAC dogs (tri, bi-, and merle) seen to have a completely different personality than sables, generally speaking, based on what I've observed over the years.

Only you know what your heart can handle but we wanted to make sure all options were out there for you.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It is extremely difficult - I'm probably not for much help because I would say find a good Sheltie breeder.

Fasb was a male, so choose a female, in a different color than Fasb.

Then you will get a nice new dog with many of the same features that you both love so much.

Fasb will always be in your heart, but there will be room for a small new little soul who needs your love, which might in time give you so much pleasure.

Why I say so:
    My German Shepherd dogs were my desire dogs (all three). :yes:
    I could not imagine a new GSD, when they left me after respectively 14½ - 13½ and 10 years, every time I was so broken.

I liked everything that a GSD contained and each time it ended with that I chose the same race, but switched between a female, male and female.

This made that I never compared the new with the old one, but it took time before the grief of the old were less, but the new little pup helped me definitely get through the grief.

(It was only because a GSD would be too strong for me now - that I was forced to switch to a smaller race. I chose a Sheltie, which I certainly have not regretted, she gives me so much joy and love)

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    my two cents

I started my married life with the best sheltie EVER...we both had come from having big dogs growing up. Our lifestyle only allowed a smaller breed. We knew nothing about shelties then, but had experience with collies. We spoke to local breeders and were convinced that we would be happy. My 1st beauty was a sable..she was the bigger sized -40lbs, and best dog EVER. When she passed I couldn't even think of getting another sheltie. But my son needed a dog, wanted a sheltie and we got a tricolored, or so we thought, and she was 360 from my 1st, but a fantastic choice for us then. She was also on the bigger side. When she passed, I thought NO WAY, I can't have another, but life w/o a sheltie is just OFF once you have had them. When Kaleigh was born on valentines day and a true tricolored baby. She just didn't resemble either of the previous ones, and she would be half their size. Kaleigh is very laid back, not as smart as my others but all heart. Then come labor day Savannah came and life as we know it changed. She is the smallest sheltie ever, a sable, but lighter than my 1st one, and sooooo very different than ALL my shelties...

My point is, there is life after losing a sheltie and you can have another and not feel or compare it to your previous one. But it can have all the wonderful traits of the breed. You can downsize and get a smaller one. Savannah is 15 lbs, all spunk, but she loves attention and to be cuddled. It is like having a baby at times, she is baby sized and loves to snuggle. But she has more energy and can out run Kaleigh any day of the week. She is a runner and fast. If you love the breed, you might be disappointed seeking a dog that isn't a sheltie, because they are SO special. I am biased but they really are.

Good luck finding a new woof...they add so much to your life, don't miss out!!!!

7. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Bishon, cavlier king charles spaniel, cocker, havanese, pug, keeshond, american eskimo

I can assure you no two shelties will be the same even if sable. And even a puppy fasb would be so different than mature fasb. Even a sable will be different sizes, markings, colors etc. but it is ok if you need a drastic change too. Everyone is different. And if the dog meant for you isnt a sheltie perhaps that is why God is pulling those heartstrings.

For me, I kept open to other options but knew if I did I would need a sheltie in a few years. I truly dodnt know what i would do without the fur to groom and to bury my fingers and face in. It has been 43 years of mostly shelties in my life! And the intelligence I would miss and i have kids so I am very scared of a dog that would have food aggression or not love kids so i am nervous about rescues. But i was still open. I was expecting to wait until spring or summer but thought I would be ready around. xmas. Instead three weeks later a sheltie popped up on a respected breeders site at 12 weeks old which is an age i could do that time of the. Year. And the description led with "loooves kids..... Ended with active family preferred". I Had to call! I thought I wanted an aoac or female for the difference. Instead i have another sable male! He does indeed love kids. He is soooo different than toby except loves people, loves kids and intelligence. Different face shape and a stripe verses mostly solid face, perfect olive eye verses in between olive/ round, elegant finer boned face verses full muzzle and cutest face, different color ...one was a deep red shaded sable this one is caramel colored i think. He is going to be small and finer boned , my other was 16 1/2 inches and moderate bone. My first was more agility temperament this one is amazing at obedience stuff already . my last was uber confident this one a typical sheltie and I have had to work on a couple fear areas which may be enhanced by his singleton start. My last was affectionate but not cuddly and this one would like to be a lap dog. In fact all the shelties in my life so far have been sables and no two are exactly alike and therefor we had no trouble transitioning . But that is US and it is ok if you are different, many people need to switch breeds. So Above is my personal list of other options based on my research and experiences as a die hard sheltie lover.

Be prepared though you will still mourn for awhile even in the midst of puppy love no matter what the next dog looks like. Joy and mourning and missing can coexist. Be sure to share picks so we can celebrate with you no matter what breed you bring home!

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second others' suggestions that you consider a different colored Sheltie. And, as has been said, they all come with different personalities. We have six, and no two are the same -- even the mother/daughter combo.

That being said, you might want to confine your search to the Herding Breeds, since you enjoy the Sheltie temperament, if you decide to branch out. Look at the Icelandic Sheepdog...similar in temperament, size and coat.
    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/icelandic-sheepdog/
    Or perhaps the Miniature American Shepherd ... a newer breed a bit more like an Aussie or Border Collie but again, similar temperament.
    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/icelandic-sheepdog/

There's lots of information on breeds on the AKC website, which will lead you to the parent club of those that interest you. Of course, my vote is always for a Sheltie though!

9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Though cavalier king charles spaniels are extraordinarily sweet and just terrific little dogs, they have a LOT of health problems, so make sure you're aware of what you might be getting with one of those.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Everyone loves Reggie on our flyball team but he is not the sharpest tack in the box for sure :winkgrin: Of course he is compared to BCs and Shelties which tend to be rated smart.