Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Zana, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Hello, my name is Zana and I have recently adopt a sheltie. A very chunky sheltie who was matted. I took pictures of her first day. I have started brushing her with a rake, undercoat brush and a slicker brush. She has been spayed and I can't bathe her for 2 weeks so I've been making do with waterless shampoo. She also has an appointment with a groomers at the end of her two weeks. Once I figure out how to get pictures posted I will post before, my brushing after and then groomers after. Oh her name is Dakota. Kota for short. I'm hoping to start agility and doggy freestyle. Mainly for fun and bonding.
    She had been everything a sheltie is in personality except the barking part. I'm hoping she will open up more and well see the barking come. I also hope she wasn't debarked by her last owner who ever they are.

Anyways thanks for allowing me to be a member here.

Zana

2. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Welcome Zana ! :)

I'm constantly amazed at the people that manage to neglect their dogs,.... & equally admiring of those that step up and adopt them in the face of many challenges,.... Kudos to you !

Don't be too concerned about the debarking thing,...... There's little you can do about it anyway, but our Drake had his bark softened by the breeder & while it took us a little by surprise at first, we are totally good with it now,.... We nicknamed him "Dog Vader" because he sometimes sounds like Darth Vader breathing when he growls....

To get pics in posts you can either get a premium membership which allows photo uploads directly to the forum,..... Or you can join a site like Flikr https://www.flickr.com/ and that site will "host" your pics & you can link them in here..... Photobucket is another site that does the same thing as Flikr.

How old is Dakota ?

:)

ghggp and Zana like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome to you and Kota! You're marvelous to help make her feel better until her grooming appointment. Zana, I'm equally impressed at how you've embraced all things Sheltie!

ghggp and Zana like this.
  4. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    She turned 4 years on the 4th of November. And thanks. So far I am loving her. I would like her to be a tiny bit independent when going out in the yard to potty in the a.m. she so,t go outside unless I'm with her. In all honesty? I love how she wants to be around me. When we go to off leash parks, she'll follow me. Will greet dogs, but doesn't play. Even with me. I've started clicker training yesterday. She really loves her boiled chicken breast.

Ian & Danielle and ghggp like this.
  5. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada

Drake still follows us around like a shadow at times & he's 4 as well,..... The breeder said that while his litter mates would be rampaging around the yard, Drake would be at the door wanting to be inside with his people. He will still romp with other dogs now when outside with his ball or frisbee, but when back in the house, he's happy with his people.

For #1 potty, Drake will head out from the back door on his own to go the 30 yards to the bush,.... For #2's though,..... He likes to roam about a bit with one of us to "pick a spot" quite a ways from the house,..... We never really let him that far from sight because we have cougars & bears that frequent the village where we live.

Zana likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

Zana likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome and bless you for giving her a better life. Taking the time to bond with her is so important at this early stage!

All my rescues went through beginning obedience and it helped with bonding and confidence too!

Yes, you found the best Sheltie site on the web!!!

Jams and Zana like this.
  8. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Here r her first day home with us. Needed a brush and had Matt's. I love that one of her eyes is blue. I imagine she's a merle gene carrier?

Anyways, when I get time and not to lazy ill give an update picture of her brushed.

Attached Files:

Jams and Ian & Danielle like this.
  9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Welcome to the forum!

And yes--if a dog with a sable coat has a blue eye or blue eyes then they are considered a sable merle.

10. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Ah. I did not know she would be considered sable merle. That is something I didn't know. I've just been telling people she's a merle gene carrier.

Oh I've noticed that she had two large lumps just before her hind quarters. She has a dental on the 30th and ill let my doc know about it. Is it normal for shelties? The large lumps are in the same spot and equal so I don't know if that's normal or not. If one side was lump and the other wasn't I'd be very concerned.