Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New pup...old couple

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by gfusco325, Aug 9, 2017.

1. gfusco325

gfusco325 Forums Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Hi,
    We are seventy somethings and our sweet Shadow died. Not having long ourselves, we decided, possibly too impulsively, to find another. A puppy of 4 mo was available and we jumped. We had forgotten about puppies. This is our 4th sheltie. We are both a little lame and I worry about whether this little guy is being shortchanged. He's also a big guy and filled with all sheltie piss and vinegar. Love him to pieces.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    In the long run, all that counts is that you love your pup, which you clearly do. He will keep you young! Some of the best breeders I know are well over 70...one is over 80 and still having litters. I have 6 Shelties and I'll be 70 this year. I still show my dogs. DH keeps saying they are trying to kill us by laying where they know we'll trip on them, and standing up just as we put a leg over :ROFLMAO:. We wouldn't give up a single one.

Puppies are busy and can be exhausting, but they do mellow as they grow up. If you have a fenced yard, toss a ball for your boy or play a game of tug with him. The most important thing is to make sure you wear him out! Puppies play hard, sleep hard, and nap lots. You can rest up when he does!

We're glad to have you here on the Forum. We need more senior representation! :)

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    If you can find a good, really good, doggie daycare for 1-2 days per week that will help the little guy get his wiggles out some too. Teach him to fetch and return to you, teach him search--all those things will wear him out and not be too totally strenuous. Training wear little ones out as well.

Hanne likes this.
  4. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I have exactly the same story. Phoebe is almost two now. I take her for walks, play fetch and tug of war. Chasing the vacuum wears her out, as does chasing the hose water in the summer. I think she has gotten used to being a little lazy because after the grandchildren have been here, she passes out. After my last sheltie passed away I had to decide between another sheltie or a cat. I figured a dog would force me into more exercise.

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Howdy....do you have grandkids or neighborhood kids, I bet they would enjoy romping around with the puppy. Or even a dog that can have play sessions. I took Kaleigh with me everywhere to socialize her. She was a one dog litter, she was a bit on the reserved side. I had neighbors with Collies that she got to visit a lot. They taught her so much. They were older, and didn't like some of her behaviors and they would put a paw on her head when she was being bratty it was adorable.
    Puppies grow up quick and though they are a HANDFUL as puppies, soon he will be a dog. I survived puppyhood recently for both of my lil monsters and trust me, I forgot how puppies were so I understand.
    My girls have a tether ball that they like to play with and can do it by themselves, but you can laugh from a distance. I lowered so they can reach it and push it around, that burns energy. When they were puppies I had a mini jogging trampoline that they liked to jump up and down on. It wasn't fancy at all but they loved it. It became part of the zoomie obstacle course. Putting a favorite toy on a pole with a long string is good play. They can chase the toy as you flick it around. I got butterballs jungle animals 8"pet toy (amazon.com) and those were a hit when they were small and a favorite still. It can be wrestled with, it doubles as a nap buddy, great for pouncing on.

Hanne likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Good for you! Enjoy that puppy -- he WILL bring even more youth to your lives. I also suggest making sure you have arrangements for who will care for him in case you can't, should that sad day come.