Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Puppy

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Cappuchino, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Cappuchino

Cappuchino Forums Regular

Oct 12, 2014
    California
    I might get a new dog, and wanted some good name ideas. I was thinking Rendy for a boy, and Lily for a girl. Sable shelties. Also, when I get the dog, what sort of questions should I be asking? would it be rude to ask to visit before getting the dogs? Thanks in advance.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    You should always get to see the dog/s before you make a commitment...the dog you get will be a part of your family for hopefully 12-16+ years, so it is really important to get the right fit. A good breeder will want to meet you and will also want you to meet the pup/s available...will ask you a lot of questions on what you are looking for in a dog...ie just a companion or looking to do agility/flyball or other competitive sports, etc...and will help you chose the pup that he/she feels is the best match for you from a personality type and energy level. Be 100% honest in answering the breeder's questions so that best match is possible. Although Shelties as a breed have certain fairly typical traits, every Sheltie is unique just as every human is unique...hence it is really important to state what characteristics you like and those you hope not to get.

You want to ask what tests (hips, thyroid, eyes, vWD, MDR1. etc.) have been done on the pup's parents and be shown the results. There is never a 100% guarantee that a pup will not have some health issue even if the parents have been tested clear but that chance is much smaller when you know the pup comes from a breeding of two healthy dogs. Very often the breeder will not own both the male and female dog they have bred...but you should get to at least meet the female so you can see her personality.

If you are going the rescue route, ask for as much medical history as might be available on the dog (often there is none)...but as with a puppy it is best, if possible, to meet the dog before you make a decision if this is the right dog for you.

I like both the names you are thinking about...if you google "dog names" there are dozens of sites with literally hundreds of names...it is fun to see all the possibilities.

Trini

3. Cappuchino

Oct 12, 2014
    California
    Re: Trini

Thanks so much. I will be sure to do so. The litter my puppy is coming from is a co-bred, so I might not be able to see both parents. Do you think there is any problem with co-bred litters. The breeders both seem fairly good.

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Absolutely no issue with co-bred...very typical for the male and female to be owned by different breeders...just ask the health testing questions about both parent dogs.

Trini

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    when I was looking for new puppies, one of the things I wanted was a health guarantee. I found some that were charging more didn't include that. I went with those that offered a year health guarantee. Those that didn't I opted not to pursue any further. My breeder requests to be informed of anything cropping up, because they want to make sure they are breeding quality and not causing issues in their litters. I think the breeder/buyer relationship is important.

6. Cappuchino

Oct 12, 2014
    California
    Re: trini and tesslyn

Thank you so much!!!