Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Sheltie (Advise Needed)

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Yochii, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Yochii

Yochii Forums Novice

Aug 5, 2017
    Singapore
    Hi Guys!

Please advise me if the attached photos of sheltie, look like sheltie?

http://imgur.com/LRWmJh2
    http://imgur.com/WrR542L

It will be the one on the left side.

I some way, I find it weird. It seems quite small for a 9 weeks old sheltie.

Appreciate any advice given!

Thank you!

2. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

looks like a small boned sheltie to me

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm not sure it is not a mix.
    The size may well be true there are Shelties that are very small.

But very adorable it is :yes:

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Have you seen the parents?

I would want to go to the home where they were raised to see the parents!

5. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    What a darling! How much does he weigh? At 10 weeks Phoebe weighed 3.06 pounds. She grew to be almost 15 inches at the shoulder and 18 pounds. He is either a small sheltie or perhaps a sheltie pom mix.

6. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    I would vote for Sheltie, but as posted above, seeing the parents would be helpful.

Either way, they are cute.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It certainly looks like a Sheltie to me but definitely has a Pomeranian face (it does crop up from time to time). It's not uncommon to get an undersized or oversized pup in the same litter so that could explain the size. My Piper was about 4 1/2 pounds at 10 weeks and he's now 15" tall and 21 lbs.

Sue Rasmussen likes this.
  8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    These look like sheltie mixes to me.

Sue Rasmussen likes this.
  9. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Recently, a local pet store in Tokyo had a "discount sheltie" due to it's age (wish I had taken a pic) It looked more like a collie than a sheltie, in both size and shape....big beautiful sable.....with a curled over tail?? I naturally asked what kind of mix it was. "Not a mix, she's pure sheltie!" Maybe age wasn't the only reason nobody bought her? (she was beautiful though)

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I would bet that it is a sheltie, just not bred with the sheltie standard in mind (can be found here). Just because it is not bred to standard doesn't mean it can't be a good pet for you, but I would make sure that the breeder is reputable. The parents (or at least the mother) should be on the premises, the breeder should offer some sort of health guarantee, and the parents should be tested for several health issues. It's not a guarantee, but it does lessen your chances of genetically preventable diseases down the road.

A good place to start your search would be with your local sheltie club (it appears there is a Facebook page for one in Singapore).