Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Newbie with possibly a record-breaking list of questions

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by blaiseshimmer, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You've gotten fabulous advice. I thought I wanted to show someday, too. I started by attending a show four hours away -- and was lucky enough to meet the late, great Barbara Thompson. She spent time with DH and me, explaining what makes a top Sheltie. What an introduction to the sport!

Then I took a Julie Desy seminar on "Objective Evaluation - The Key to Success." Wow -- two days with one of the best in the sport! I learned so much from that - mostly that there is always more to learn.

Next, I participated in a George Alston handling seminar -- two days of being picked at, picked on, and generally having a wonderful time learning how to handle a dog in the show ring -- and Layla and I walked away with a ribbon as most improved!!

I joined my local Sheltie club and hosted judges in my home for our specialty. Wow, talk about an education! Judges LOVE to talk, and all my guests spent literally hours teaching me how to look at a Sheltie -- and sharing stories of the good old days. Later, I joined Central Virginia Shetland Sheepdog Club, with several outstanding conformation breeders -- including the guys who won breed at Westminster last year. Our club was the "home club" for the Sheltie Nationals last year. I volunteered to work, and let me tell you, that's how to meet people, learn stuff, and make friends. I even got to watch Tofu Pup's amazing Annie win veterans!! Whoo hoo!

Finally, I have two beloved "appreciation mentors" who understand that passion for Shelties (and Collies) can exist without showing. I spend hours with these greats of the breed, hearing tales of the "good old days" and refining my eye.

What did I learn from all this? I learned that I really didn't want the responsibility of breeding. I learned that I didn't want to spend most of my time (and income!) away from my family and home traveling to shows. I learned that competition isn't really good for me because I get obsessed and tense.

So I am a fan and worker and supporter of the breed. And you know, I learned that there's a place for folks like me in the fancy. I'm no threat, so nearly everyone is warm, friendly, and supportive. I work, so I'm not viewed as a nuisance.

And I love it!!

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you for bringing your warm and loving heart to our community, Chris. I can attest that your hard work is deeply appreciated!

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Thank you so much -- and you're welcome! Since Beckon has two Rally titles, I can now become an ASSA Associate Member!!

4. blaiseshimmer

blaiseshimmer Forums Regular

Apr 16, 2015
    south TX
    Sorry I didn't respond to all the great suggestions over the weekend (we - actually, me - repainted the bathroom counters to look like marble...), but I've saved all the responses in my ever-growing sheltie folder.

I also went through all the kennel clubs, breed clubs, etc, that are south of Austin/San Antonio and Houston...how many are there? Answer...lots, and all except for Corpus are 4+ hours away driving real fast. Ironic, that once we moved to this state, distance becomes subjective. I pretty much mapped an area that I look at as CLOSE and when I superimposed it on the area we plan to move, it covers more than the entire New England area. This state is stupidbig. So when I looked at the kennel clubs in New Hampshire (where we plan to move back to), every single one seems to me to be 'an easy drive'.

But none are along the border. I even looked to see if I could find specialty clubs for other breeds that did conformation to see if I could at least tag along to see how they handled their dogs...nothing.

I'm going to try to get to the March show one way or another; I can aim for the February show providing DH is still here (that man really needs to get on a ship...). The one reason I asked about bringing my puppy along to shows is more of a 'puppydaycare' issue; while I know I can have my Shiloh's trainer pet sit him, my older scotty, who is very well-behaved, and my puppy, would have to be left alone which makes me very uncomfortable. If DH is still home, he can puppysit.

Heading to a show with chair (and maybe Kelby) plus a notebook, catalog, knapsack filled with a giant thermos of coffee (<coffeejunkie here), won't be a problem. I'm not shy, so walking up to people who are sitting/not covered in hair/look calm will be easy. I remember when I was first showing cats, how I learned to respectfully stare from a distance whenever I saw a breeder/handler with a cat that interested me, later on asking if I could ask a few questions and would you mind if I filmed you as you pointed out the pluses of your cat? and maybe I could put that expertise to good use.

On second thought, I might see if DH plans to stick around until late Feb so I can schelp up to the February show.

And you guys are great. I think I should inform/warn all of you that you have, willingly or not, become my online mentors. :biggrin2: