Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Of Claire Bear and Childbride

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Woodbender, May 30, 2017.

1. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    As some of you know my wife (Childbride) has had a brain tumor surgery which she is still recovering from. Also my dad just about 4 or 5 weeks ago suffered an emergency gall bladder surgery just because I was having a slow day I guess. We almost lost him and I actually had to cancel a client's three day training session the first day and fly back from Georgia. It was the longest two hours of my life not knowing if dad made it out of surgery. The surgeons said if my sister had not gotten him in another 12 hours would have been too late.
    Theresa (my wife) had to learn to walk again literally. The only way in to the tumor was through her right ear canal. This meant the right ear lost 100% hearing as well as her semicircular canals in the right half of her brain. The tumor was lodged up tight under her cerebellum and deforming the brain stem and crushing stretching the right side facial nerve to three times it's normal size. There's only so much room back there and this tumor was the size of a large egg. She has some temporary droopsy in the right face which is slowly improving and may still recover close to 100%.
    Claire has been the hero in all of this. As horrific as her background is she was drawn out of her shell to nurse Mama Theresa back to health because only sheltie kisses can work the way sheltie kisses work. A few days before surgery Theresa was frankly getting overwhelmed by what was coming at her and Claire picked up on it and came over to Theresa (big step) to initiate contact to attempt to console my wife. She had never done this before being too timid. Not once.
    Claire is now playing nurse to Mama Theresa as a furry shadow, and Theresa is slowly drawing Claire out of her horrible past. It all happens for a reason I guess, but what a long strange trip it's been. [Edit; sorry I can't get this photo link to work]
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Woodbender/Claire/IMG_20150926_095846787cropped_zps1wdnwnaf.jpg

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    glad to hear that everyone is on the mend.
    I saw a pic of Claire when I clicked on your link...

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Tough year but good to hear that everyone is still around to cause you more worry :)

4. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I'm so glad to hear that your wife is doing okay, and that Claire is helping with the recovery.

5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am so sorry you have had such a tough time with all the medical issues with your family. I am thrilled that everyone is doing better and hope that trend continues! :hugs
    I love all the beautiful photos too!

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    One word: miracles.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh man! Life has thrown you several wicked curve balls. The bottom line though, is good outcomes! Glad to hear Theresa is on the mend, and now Claire is returning the favor of you saving her and having had endless patience with her re-integrating into normal dog life. I'm thrilled she is being so tuned into and supportive of your wife.
    Many, many hugs and best wishes to all three of you, Tim. :hugs

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I saw nice pic of Claire :wink2:

Tim - thank you so much for receiving an update from you personally - about what has happened in your little family both good and bad.

So glad that your wife may recover close to 100% :fl

I believe in the destiny - you both have given so much love and incredible understanding to Claire Bear
    - now she will wish to give back -although she must go so far beyond her limits- to help mom Theresa :hugs

The very best wishes for you all. :yes:

9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I am so sorry that you've been through all of this, Tim. But I'm glad that it seems to be behind you and that Child Bride is on the mend. And how wonderful that Claire Bear is doing so very well.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, you've had a real annus horribilis

I just love that photo of Claire - happy and smiling, and just naturally loving life. She really found her heart family with you.