Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Om gosh really my pup is a what?!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Daisy1015, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    My puppy , granted in the coyote stage, but still, he has 3 inches of fur on belly so not completely slick at 22 weeks. I have been asked if he is a toy german shepherd and today asked if he is a greyhound. Other peole have no idea what a sheltie/ collie is and so many in the younger generation (30 and under) do not even know what/ who Lassie is anymore so there is no frame of reference. A neighbor told me how hyper my dog was when well behaved on a leash but he wagged his tail at her and tried approaching her to greet. I didn't let him as she clearly must be scared of dogs! I had to tell her he is a puppy!

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I really want to see a pic of a toy? GSD which looks like a greyhound but actually is a sheltie :lol::lol::lol:

I'll always hear that Minnie is a Collie puppy ore a mix of a Collie and ?? only once - oh, that is a Sheltie :biggrin2:

3. MaraAraLara

MaraAraLara Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2015
    Ireland
    When people meet Rupert it's always "Aw SHE is so cute" "Aw its Lassie" Everyone presumes he is a girl - too cute to be a boy. Even his blue harness, collar and jacket don't seem to help. :lol:

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    ah people

the coyote stage is just goofy and funny for shelties. Collies were well known for earlier generations, more breed recognition there. In most people's mind the sheltie is an undergrown/runt or miniature collies, we know better, but you can't really change perceptions:confused2: All you can do is try and educate, but it falls on deaf ears, or at least that has been my experience.

Kaleigh is always thought of as male, possibly because she is bigger or tricolored? not sure why. Savannah being small and petite, and vocal, she has never been mistaken for a male. She has the prissy lil diva quality.

Just rejoice that you have the best breed possible and feel sorry for others ignorance.:yes: They are the ones missing out!!!!!

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I just love it when people don't know about Shelties. Then I get to tell them all about the breed, its history -- most folks are fascinated!

It's an opportunity, folks, not an insult.:biggrin2:

jaleely likes this.
  6. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Maryland
    Olive's ~4.5 and she still gets mini-GSD and Turv and my favorite right now - "Mini Wolf". I can chalk that up to her having the wild expression of agouti. Because Shelties ONLY come in pure sable, right? Like Lassi? :lol:

7. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    A little girl in my apartment complex asked me on two separate occasions if Missy was a baby husky. Nope.. still not a baby husky.

jaleely likes this.
  8. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    LOL! At least she's little. I get asked all the time if Cruz is a mini border collie.. somewhat understandable, and I'm sure you get that too with Missy. But my mind was blown when I got asked if he was a boston terrier.. twice, by the same person. Second time I got the "are you sure he's not mixed with one?" Yup pretty sure!

jaleely likes this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We get the BC comments a lot too. But i did have to laugh when we were camping this summer and someone said "look a black and white Lassie".

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    At least they got the right species. When Tully was a pup I got asked more than once if she was a kitten! Before she grew her fur she looked like a baby wombat - brown and flat nosed, not very attractive. Then when she hit coyote stage I was often asked if she was a fox (she has a very fox-like tail). Nowadays at least people realise she's a dog.