Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Our poor little Jasmine

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by ghggp, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    As many of you know, I provide daycare for my sister's little sheltie Jasmine.

Jasmine is not wanting to climb the stairs to her backyard. So we got her a ramp. She did well for a few days but now is reluctant to use even that! Jasmine seems lethargic and depressed. She does not move much but sleeps a lot. She is 12 now and was used as a backyard breeding dog for six years before we rescued her!

I ran her up to the vet yesterday to get an X-ray and blood work done. When I told the vet everything that I was noticing wrong with her... the list was long!

He asked me to walk her as her back end collapses when she tries to go upstairs or the ramp! He popped her on the exam table to palpate her hind end and legs.

To my horror, he said she had torn both her ACL's!!! Her knees joints were incredibly swollen! She had one fused joint in her back and five bone spurs! Add to that, she has an enlarged heart! Several of her front upper teeth are so loose they are about to fall out! He said to just let them fall out on their own! She also has cataracts! She has been bobbing her head and blinking rapidly for the past year and the vet suspects grand mal seizures.

She is on three medications now! It should relieve the extreme pain she is in! He said that is one stoic little dog! By the evening last night, she seemed in so much less pain!

The Vet will call tomorrow about the results of the blood work.

jasmine June 2017.jpg
    jasmine and laddie.jpg

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, poor thing. she must be in so much pain, no wonder she doesn't want to move much, she's a brave little thing for getting up at all.

She has a beautiful little face, reminds me of my Tully.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor little Jasmine
    - Imagine how lucky she where to come to your loving homes and now she is bad, she gets all the help she can get.

12 years old, she has become because you've taken care of her - but Gloria we can not close our eyes for the time of life :hugs

I see such a beautiful face, with a very thoughtful look :wink2:

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    The vet said that nothing points to euthanizia at this time!

SheepOfBlue, SKNerissa and Hanne like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Stoic indeed! Can you even imagine how you would feel if you had to deal with all those issues at the same time? She is one very brave girl. And pretty too! Good to hear she is feeling better.

ghggp likes this.
  6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Wow, poor Jasmine. Glad you found out why she was in pain and I'm sure you will do everything to make her feel as comfortable as possible. Feel better little one!

ghggp likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OK, now it is getting from bad to worse...

Bloodwork Results:

BUN Normal Range: 7-27
    - was 30 (9 months ago)
    - 47 on 6.13.17

Creatine Normal Range: should be less than 2.0
    - was 0.8 (9 months ago)
    - 2.5 on 6.13.17

Phosphorus
    High

Cholesterol
    High (She is on thyroid meds)

She is pre-diabetic (possible hereditary)
    Her sugar level is 191

Potassium elevated due to problems with her kidneys

We will need to:
    GET URINE SAMPLE on 6.16.17 to check protein levels in the urine

Get her on Kidney friendly diet Science Diet KD
    (BUN numbers can go down if used for one month)

THE GOOD NEWS...
    - She is responding to the medication and seems brighter and not in any pain
    - If she stays on this new KD food her BUN numbers will go down.
    - She is going up and down the ramp to go out to potty by herself which she could not do before!

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Really good news - This must also be a good indicator, that Jasmine has gotten much better now :hugs

ghggp likes this.
  9. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    Having been Breeder dog by a byob or mill would have been very hard on her i bet. Poor dear

ghggp likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Gloria,
    What a laundry list of maladies! I am so sorry Jasmine is having to deal with all these issues. Her little cute face just reminds me so much of my little Ally. She had chronic pancreatitis and kidney disease, all at the same time. The kidney diet does help, and if that isn't quite enough, fluids under the skin once day to flush her system out will help her feel better. They tend to lose their appetite when the kidney numbers get up there. Both knees gone too - holy moly.

Ally had a seizure once after taking Sentinel - blinking and walking backwards in a circle. It was scary.

It sounds like her little body is just starting to wind down, as horrible as that is to say. But they often will surprise us and rally for quite a while. I dearly hope that with her new food and medicines she will be around to gladden your hearts for a good long while yet. My thoughts and best wishes to you and your sis.

ghggp likes this.