Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Our Sheltie has become a really fussy eater

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Bob R, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Hopefully he'll get over it eventually, Piper was a picky eater until I got him neutered (could be coincidence) I have since switched him over to a raw diet (it's a mix of ground turkey,heart and liver with veggies and vitamins) and he is so not picky anymore. I'm actually trying to get him to lose a couple pounds (he gets a lot of treats for obedience training) so I sometimes will give him a handful of raw broccoli or cauliflower for a snack and he eats it all up lol.

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit didn't. She was still pretty young when she went through her picky phase, and she was already pretty tiny. She didn't have a lot of leeway for her weight. I wasn't comfortable waiting her out so I switched her to raw and that was the end of her picky eating :)

That being said, I do understand that most dogs will eventually eat when they get hungry enough. I guess Spirit is unusually stubborn ;-)

3. Bob R

Bob R Forums Regular

May 5, 2016
    Eastern CT.
    Final results on Lucky's month long finicky eating. He has returned to eating normally due in large part to my wife home made stew she adds to his Fromm. He eats like no tomorrow. 1/2 cup twice a day and he licks the bowl until we pick it up and put it in the sink. He does get a ration of reward snacks when we play fetch in the evening. All's well that end's well. Thanks for all the input my fellow Sheltie owners.

Bob

Ann, Hanne and Cara Sandler like this.