Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Overweight Sheltie

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Andrew Lindberg, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Andrew Lindberg

Andrew Lindberg Forums Novice

Jan 3, 2017
    Hello all,

New to the forum. I have a 3 year old sheltie named Smoky and we got her from the Shelter a year ago. We love her to death. She is about 14" tall at the shoulder and weighs 17.2lbs. The vet said she is overweight so I am looking for guidance. I have The Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula we feed her. Looking for guidance on how much to feed as we would like to see her lose 2 to 3 lbs. Currently feeding 1/3 cup twice daily. As far as exercise, she loves exertion and I bike her at full sprint around 20 min per day and also walk her again at night for about the same amount of time. Just want to see her be at optimum weight and avoid health issues down the road. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    We're very lucky in that Shelties were bred by poor farmers who really needed a fuel efficient dog, so they can run on an oily rag. Unfortunately, they also bred a dog that is a good scavenger and who does a very good 'I'm starving' face. They need a lot less than the recommended daily amount and can often get away with half RDA. It's really important to look at any extras she gets. There's a lot of hidden calories in things like dental chews and raw hide chews (esp pigs ears).

You could probably cut her down to 1/4 twice a day, but supplement her diet with vegetables so she doesn't notice. Pumpkin is a good filler that dogs love, or if you want to do it easy just cook up some frozen veggies (some dogs like to eat them frozen, mine don't). You may want to think of giving her canned food for one meal as it's more filling.

Did the vet suggest SD metabolic? If she's already on SD she may be able to switch to the metabolic just while you get her weight down. I had good success with getting the weight off my Burmese cat on the SD metabolic, I did the combo of wet and dried.

If it helps at all, my 13" gets 1/8 cup kibble for breakfast. I cook her dinner - 2/3 cup meat and veggies, or if she gets tinned it's 1/3 of the tin. And she gets half an egg before bed (mostly for my other dog's meds) She gets a greenie or chewy meat/bone once a week for her teeth (which are good). She's 9 but active (twice daily walks, chases bunnies in the evening).

3. Andrew Lindberg

Andrew Lindberg Forums Novice

Jan 3, 2017
    Very helpful information. I will take your advice and I am bringing her to the vet soon for a follow up and will definitely ask about the SD metabolic. Thanks so much! Love shelties.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Is she really overweight? Check to see -- does she have a clearly discernable :waistline"? Can you easily feel her ribs. If you can, she's good. If not, consider feeding Anamaet Lean.

5. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Vallejo
    Thats overweight?

Boots is about 19-19.5" and 45# after this winter...
    We're both going on Spring diets, and he needs to get down to ~38#.