Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Owners of male dogs

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Cleo2014, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    :lol: Embarrassing, but hilarious - I would have crawled under the consult table! Bet you were the talk of the tea room that day.

RikyR and Pam like this.
  2. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    I trim Beau there. Beau is surprisingly good to get his specialty trim. He just loves having the extra attention I think.

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Yep, my male terrier always had a sanitary clip, and my shelties have the female version.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We refer to them as "pee feathers" from back in my Irish Setter days. We trim them down a little bit.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  5. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    Hee hee pee feathers

I have done it before but not consistently on my males

6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    My boy Lucky never had a problem, but Lil' Lady sure does. I have baby wipes I use on her. Yes she gets
    clipped but pees on her belly. She is one of a kind. Going on 12 and she is in Toddler Care with me.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We never had a male, but our 1st Sheltie we would clean her with baby wipes and give her a trim. Especially when she got older and couldn't squat so well or clean herself. She too was very good for it. We would just tell her "let me see your pee pee er" and she would roll over and spread her legs

Cleo2014 likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Go figure... I say the same to Logan and he rolls over too! These dogs are just too smart! ;):ROFLMAO:

Then again, we might be a tad biased!

Shelby's mom and Cleo2014 like this.
  9. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Okay, so I actually logged on to ask, how do you do a "sanitary trim" on a male? Scissors? Clippers? How much do you trim? Any you tube videos or other instructions around?

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    It's pretty easy to trim, you don't have to be neat as the only one who sees it is your dog. I just cut the fur away from the urethra opening until it's uncovered and I also clip the sides level to the opening. Just so nothing drips onto the fur.

I use my trusty moustache scissors (blunt end scissors) and I wipe them down with an antiseptic wipe afterwards (I use the same scissors to trim their paw pads and don't want cross contamination). Easiest way is to don a pair of plastic gloves, or use a tissue, and hold the fur taut as you cut it.

SKNerissa likes this.