Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Paw grip?

Discussion in 'Flyball' started by SheepOfBlue, Jul 19, 2014.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Does anyone know of something to help on traction? Sca sometimes slips on the box during turns. I think I know why (taped places) but think he would have more confidence with more traction ;-)

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I used Shaw's Paw Wax when we did agility in the frost. It does make a difference - Tully would be the only small dog to make it over the contacts in the frost, but it did also impede her turns and she would often take down a bar/jump if she had to do a sharp turn with a jump after it. In the end I chucked in doing agility in frost all together (too dangerous). So while it may help on the box it could impede his turn into the box.

Do you clip the fur from the bottom of his feet?

4. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Not 100% sure if the groomers still are. I tell them not to trim his hair but at one time they were doing paws. He doesn't have grinch foot though. Of course he might need it more than once a month. I just figured out what he was doing by reviewing some slow motion video this morning. He slips on tape though the rest of the team does not.

5. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Phebe has very soft feet and tends to slip when she runs and jumps on matting in obedience class. I spray her feet with Firm Grip (used by weightlifters) and it really seems to help.

6. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    So status so far:
    Rosin picked up a bunch of debris on the team captains Malumute when she tried it
    Sca has some excess fur between his pads now. I checked with the groomers and as expected they do pad fur. I am going to check the video date vs last grooming. It might be that he is fine at tournaments but over time it grows out so he is picking up his bad habits at practice.
    Nails are short and maybe we need to progressively let them get a bit longer
    Checked other video and no other dog is slipping. Though Sca is the fuzziest on the team :hugs

Still pondering things but I think if we can get this sorted Sca will drop time plus a swimmers turn is better for his bones.

7. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    So after Sca slowed again the last race I was VERY concerned and brought him by the vet who said everything was great. Next step was by the chiropractor and I was hoping she found something (small). Well Mr Coimhead was all out despite the fact you could check him everywhere with zero complaint :gaah

In doc speak Cervical: APL, TMJ Thoracolumbar: L3-L6 PR Sacropelvic: PI left Extremity: all digits, right metacarpals, right glenohumerol joint, right lateral shoulder.

So a lot of his slipping was likely him not pushing off since his toes were out of wack. The strange thing is with that much out of adjustment he still insisted on frisbee and launched to get it.

After getting adjusted the dr suggested some mild exercise that night to set things. She said like frisbee :lol: I had to tell her frisbee is a contact sport at our house. Sca is definetely more bouncy though it was not like he was unhappy before. I think he has slowly been building injuries with no complaint until the combination finally slowed him down. All with zero grumping of complaint of course :rolleyes2:

He is cleared for practice tonight and I want to video his turn to see the difference. No tournaments until September though I expect a 5 second Sca that is going wild again :hugs Who knows if he gets to crazy I might give in to Spitfire and let him in Sca's crate :pop

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Glad you found out what the problem was.

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Toes jammed, right? I worry about Justus toes too, but then again, I worry about everything.under.the.sun!

Feel good SCA, although Justus says sypmathy cookies are mmmm mmmm good!

10. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    She says I should stretch his toes before he runs. So pull out and down.

It is a wonder he ran at all though as he had a sore shoulder, rump and toes. Yet would launch to catch the Frisbee and run with spitfire like nothing was hurting :eek2:

Oh and both are on less food as of tonight so there should be some rumblings of rebellion heard all the way over there :lol: