Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Peanut butter ~ toxic?!

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by 2GoodDogs, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My dogs love peanut butter - any way or form. I have not seen any harmful effects, but they don't get a lot. If this article is right, I should be dead - Mom used to let me snack on peanut butter by the spoonful when I was a kid.

3. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I forgot to say another favorite was peanut butter spread on a celery stalk. I love that and Bambi did too when she realized that not only was it cold, but it was crunchy . . . I called them her yum-yum sticks and yum-yum was all I had to say and she came running from where ever she was.

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I give Dickens a spoonful of peanut butter every day in his Kong, and I'm not about to stop. I also give him a half-teaspoon of bacon fat daily, and I'm not going to stop that either.

5. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Mignarda, I also always gave Bambi bacon fat, so here is my silly question of the day, what if any is the benefit? I always just did it because she liked it and for a little added flavor on her food. Thanks.

6. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    My aunt had a dachshund with seizures. We did extensive research & found a breeder in PA that was doing research on seizures. She suggested my aunt change food & feeding schedules & also suggested peanut butter. It did help. My dogs (shelties & schnauzers)get peanut butter flavored dog bones & have never had issues. I'd need more scientific proof that peanut butter has health issues.

7. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Many years ago a vet advised me to give a moderate amount of bacon (or any kind of pork) fat for fatty acid content, which he claimed would have a salutary effect on the dry and irritated skin that was plaguing my dog. Experience over the years has borne this out, so far as I'm concerned, which is why I continue to give Dickens his daily ration.